Help, I need some ideas on new chickens to my flock

ShebaSkye

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
I'm not new to backyard chickens, just don't ever post anything. but I sure need some advice... I just bought 3 - 2year old hens. 2 are eating ok but not much meat on their bones. One is not eating and is total skin and bones. I brought her in the house where its warm and have tried everything from regular hen layer to warming it with water to yogurt, pumpkin, dried meal worms. I don't have access to anywhere to get medicine so it'll have to be common household cure. could it be worms? just starving to death and beyond wanting to eat? any advice would be welcome.

They likely need to be wormed if they have never been prior to this time. I would start there and follow it up with a thorough bug check and possible de-lousing. After that, the birds need to eat their regular feed, with fewer "treat"-type foods. Treats are great as an addition to their diet, but not as their diet. Chicken feed is formulated to keep chickens in good health and form. Once you have cleaned up their pest load, they should start putting on some weight.

Back
Top Bottom