Help identifying and sexing mystery chicks?

Serotonin

Chirping
Jul 18, 2022
Hey everyone! First time chicken mama here. I have 10 almost seven week old chicks that I purchased online from TSC (Hoover's Hatchery) as a part of a package of mixed standard and rare breeds that I could use your help identifying and sexing. In case it's helpful, here's what the listing labelled as potential breeds:

RARE BREEDS could include: Appenzeller Spitzhauben, Barnevelder, Blue Andalusian, Buff Brahma, Cochin, Columbian Wyandotte, French Black Copper Marans, French Cuckoo Marans, French Wheaten Marans, Lavender Orpington, Light Brahma, Midnight Majesty Marans, Olive Egger, Polish Buff Laced, Polish Gold Laced, Polish Silver Laced, Polish White Crested Black, Polish White Crested Blue, Prairie Bluebell Egger, Salmon Faverolle, Sapphire Olive Egger, Silver Lakenvelder, Speckled Sussex, Starlight Green Egger, Turken, Welsummer.

STANDARD BREEDS could include: Amberlink, Americana, Asian Black, Barred Rock, Calico Princess, Black Sex-Link, Black Australorp, Jersey Giant, Brown Leghorn, Buff Orpington, California White, Cinnamon Queen, Delaware, Dominique, Golden Comet, Golden Lace Wyandotte, ISA Brown, New Hampshire Red, Sapphire Gem, Production Red, Rainbow, Rhode Island Red, Silver Lace Wyandotte, White Leghorn, White Rock

Could you help me identify their breeds and whether they're pullets or cockerels? I think #6 and #10 might both be Rhode Island Reds, but that's just a guess based on their coloring. I also suspect #1 might be a cockerel given how much more "developed" it is than the others, but that's also a guess. I've included two face angles of #1 for that reason.

If any additional pictures would help, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Also please ignore the mess that is the office-turned-brooder room in the background.

Attachments

• Chick 1-1.jpg
    Chick 1-1.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Chick 8.jpg
    Chick 8.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Chick 7.jpg
    Chick 7.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Chick 6.jpg
    Chick 6.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Chick 5.jpg
    Chick 5.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Chick 4.jpg
    Chick 4.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Chick 3.jpg
    Chick 3.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Chick 2.jpg
    Chick 2.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Chick 1-2.jpg
    Chick 1-2.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Chick 9.jpg
    Chick 9.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Chick 10.jpg
    Chick 10.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 79
One thing I'm a bit confused though is that I see the sex of Red Sex-Link chicks are very easily identified when they're just born, with females being reddish and males being completely yellow. #7 was sort of a mix of that... Mostly yellow with some red stripes running down her back. I've attached a picture for reference. Does that mean #7 is male? Or does having any red at all mean they're female?
I'm pretty sure #7 is female, based on the baby chick photo and the current photo.

Males should not have any red as chicks.
As adults, males do show some red, but it is arranged differently than the red on the females. I'm seeing female-pattern red on #7 in the current photo.

One thing I'm a bit confused though is that I see the sex of Red Sex-Link chicks are very easily identified when they're just born, with females being reddish and males being completely yellow. #7 was sort of a mix of that... Mostly yellow with some red stripes running down her back. I've attached a picture for reference. Does that mean #7 is male? Or does having any red at all mean they're female?
Yeah, that what I thought, it seems half way between them.
Hopefully it's a pullet.

Yeah, that what I thought, it seems half way between them.
Hopefully it's a pullet.

I'm pretty sure #7 is female, based on the baby chick photo and the current photo.

Males should not have any red as chicks.
As adults, males do show some red, but it is arranged differently than the red on the females. I'm seeing female-pattern red on #7 in the current photo.

That's encouraging to hear. Two roosters wouldn't be the end of the world and I'd never give them up after raising them and becoming attached, but I'd much rather have #7 be a pullet. For what it's worth, it doesn't act like a rooster. It tends to get pushed around, especially by the Rhode Island Red. I've even seen one of the more timid ones (#8) boss it around. If it is a cockerel, it's a pretty passive one.

1 is your only cockerel. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are Welsummers. 5, 8 and 9 are Easter Eggers. 7 is a Red Sex-Link. 6 is a Rhode Island Red. 10 is a Production Red.

I agree that 1 is a cockerel, the rest look like pullets, although keep an eye on 7.
I'm not much good at breeds, but 5, 8 and 9 could be EEs?

I had a feeling that #1 was a cockerel. So far he hasn't shown any signs of aggression and usually just hangs back and observes everything, so hopefully he'll just end up being a nice protector of the flock.

And interesting, I never would have guessed that the chicks who basically all looked the same would end up being the rare breed ones haha.

Attachments

• PXL_20220624_203610984.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220624_203610984.MP.jpg
    680.4 KB · Views: 82
I agree that 1 is a cockerel, the rest look like pullets, although keep an eye on 7.
I'm not much good at breeds, but 5, 8 and 9 could be EEs?

Hey everyone! First time chicken mama here. I have 10 almost seven week old chicks that I purchased online from TSC (Hoover's Hatchery) as a part of a package of mixed standard and rare breeds that I could use your help identifying and sexing. In case it's helpful, here's what the listing labelled as potential breeds:

Could you help me identify their breeds and whether they're pullets or cockerels? I think #6 and #10 might both be Rhode Island Reds, but that's just a guess based on their coloring. I also suspect #1 might be a cockerel given how much more "developed" it is than the others, but that's also a guess. I've included two face angles of #1 for that reason.

If any additional pictures would help, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Also please ignore the mess that is the office-turned-brooder room in the background.
#1 is not a welsummer or a cockerel. She’s a type of Easter egger called a starlight green egger. #7 could also be a starlight green egger depending on what color egg she lays.

Back
Top Bottom