Help! I'm housesitting for friends and can't get the hens in the coop

Henquest

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
Hi, Can someone pls help asap. Thank goodness I found this site. I am housesitting for friends who have about 10 chickens. The chickens are really cute and friendly--but my friends wrote in their directions that I need to get the chickens in the coop at night. They are in a pen that has chicken wire all around the whole thing so I doubt predators can get in but it may get cold. So, how do I "round up" chickens into their coop? I went in the pen and suggested they go toward the coop by waving my arms gently in that direction and trying to get behind them and make them go into the coop by getting away from me but they just looked at me curiously and didn't budge. In fact, the ones in the coop came out to see what the fun was. Obviously I have no clue how to speak chicken. I don't want to spook them by doing something drastic like chasing them or clapping my hands. What to do? Thank you!

First i would try to kind of push them and if that doesnt work then close the door leading to the run so they cant get in or out, Then pick up one by one and put them in the coop yourself. That is the only thing i can think of. Hope this helps

Quote:
They should head in that direction when it begins to get dark out. Have you waited until dusk?

If they're in their regular pen they should go in on their own about dusk. What time are you trying to get them to go in?

ETA I see A dozengirlz beat me to it.
smile.png

Last edited:
Most chickens will go in their coop when it gets dark naturally but you may try tempting them with treats such as cut up grapes (always a favorite), peaches, corn or peas - whatever you have laying around. Set a dish in there after letting some of them see what you've got. Chickens follow the crowd so if you can get a few in, the rest will most likely follow.
Mine usually free range during the day, and hop up into their coop at dusk. But sometimes if I'm going to be gone and I need them to be in their fenced in run during the day (which they get very bent out of shape about) I use treats and a broom to shoo them in. When you lean over to get them, half the time they run and you end up killing your back!
Hope this helps!

OK, it's not dark yet. Getting close to dusk. I was hoping this was something they might naturally want to do. If it gets dark, I'll do the one at a time thing. I've never picked up a chicken before- I hope they don't peck me. Thank you!

OK, tempting them with something yummy in the coop sounds very do-able. Thanks!!!!!!!! The hens will be warm tonight!!

Quote:
LOL. I was terrified of chickens before I got my own! I couldn't fathom that my neighbor would reach UNDER a chicken to check for eggs, now I do it as a matter of routine. I still hope they don't peck me (and they usually don't) but when they do, it doesn't ordinarily hurt.

Keep us posted on their progress!

Back
Top Bottom