Help! Infected swollen leg [PIC GRAPHIC]

I've only lanced sinus infections in poultry and soft swellings in cats and horses, never anything on a chicken leg.

-Kathy

Just a quick little update..I just checked in on her and she is putting weight on it. Before she would keep it up. Now she was standing on piece of wood as well as standing on it while eating

That's great!
It may be a hard mass of pus in there. Just keep an eye on it. You may have to make another incision over the hard part.

UPDATE: 12/1

Okay so I have an update for you guys. I unwrapped her leg today and it of course isn't very pretty, but there seemed to be a soft spot on the swelling where this yellow crumbly stuff was coming out of the soft area. Is it okay to assume this is pus? I wiped some of it away but she showed signs of not liking the feeling. So I am thinking she is starting to get feeling back into her leg as with before she didn't show any sort of reaction when I messed with it. Also on the upper bits of her leg when I fluff her feathers back, her skin is a very obvious yellow color. Any ideas on what that could be? I will try to get pics tomorrow for you guys.
She is still eating,drinking, pooping and laying eggs as normal.
I'm trying to think of new ideas as her progress is at a bit of a stand still. I am thinking since there seems to be an area with pus near the surface, would an ichthammol wrap be something I could do?
And as there are no vets around me that would even consider seeing a chicken, would it be wise to contact a poultry science department and ask them if they have an idea on whats going on? I was thinking UGA.

Thanks again everyone!

I am sorry. This is out of my league, i am afraid. I really hope someone else can give you better insight; i feel rather un-helpful. I am going to keep following this, in hope that you do get your answers!

I am sorry. This is out of my league, i am afraid. I really hope someone else can give you better insight; i feel rather un-helpful. I am going to keep following this, in hope that you do get your answers!

Thank you for your support. It is very much appreciated
smile.png

It sounds like ther is pus in there. It will have to be removed. You will be amazed how quickly it will heal after you remove the pus. Anything else will just prolong her suffering.

Back
Top Bottom