Help! Infection...I think

SharonG in Or

Jul 22, 2016
Hi and help! I've got a new health issue I've never faced before. Poor girlie...sure looks like it hurts. Any advice would be welcome!

This is obviously infected. Suggestions? I've quarantined her until this us figured out. Nothing else appears to be wrong. She seems full of herself and well, but man does that thing look nasty.

Her good side

The owie side

. Full frontal
Look inside the beak for any yellow patches and a bad odor, which could be canker (trichmoniasis.) Canker can be treated with metronidazole (fish zole or Flagyl.) Dosage is 250 mg daily in 2 divided doses given by mouth for 5 days. Another scenario could be that her face was injured by something sharp. Betadine 10% or Vetericyn would be good to clean the wound, and then apply plain antibiotic ointment daily.
Last edited:
You're welcome, and I hope she recovers. Here is some info on canker from ChickenVetCoUK:

Oral Canker

Canker is a condition mostly associated with pigeons and is caused by a tiny parasite called trichomonas. This parasite is often spread through contaminated drinking water. The parasite causes a ‘yellow button’ of pus to form in your bird’s mouth. This can stop your bird from eating normally leading to weight loss.

What to look for

  • Weight loss
  • Birds picking up food then dropping it
  • A cheese-like plaque in your birds mouth (see photo)
  • A reluctance to eat

Treating canker or suspected canker is a job for a vet who will likely prescribe an anti-parasitic medication.

Ensure that your birds' drinking water is changed daily. Try to keep the drinkers in the chicken house to discourage wild birds from sharing your birds’ water.

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom