Help! Injured chicken with Burns and patchy feathers!

malachigilbert_

Hatching
May 2, 2022
A little information,
My uncle found a chicken and he knows that I have a few of my own so he asked if I wanted to take on a rescue chicken and of course I had to accept. from what he told me the chicken was in a wrecked car and was stuck onto the vehicle. The vehicle was going to be towed to a yard. Little did the truck driver know, the hen was being drug all the way. He didn't know until he went to unload the vehicle. Then I was called.
What I want to know is how would I care for this chicken? Right now she is separated from the rest of my hens until I know shes healthy enough to not get bullied to death.
Will I have to pluck all the Quills?
If I have to pluck the quills can I do it myself or should I see a vet about doing this?
Do I have to do anything at all? Will it heal naturally?
What about the burns on her skin is there a pill or cream I should put on her?
What breed is she? (if you can tell)
also i would like this to be cost efficient because I am a High school student and can't afford crazy vet bills but I am willing to put in necessary money if i absolutely have to.

Attachments

• IMG_5297.JPG
    IMG_5297.JPG
    506.5 KB · Views: 37
Welcome To BYC

Poor Hen!

Those don't look like burns to me, they look like a lot of scabs from being picked on.
The feather damage is from being plucked and probably from mating.
The broken feathers will not be replaced until she goes through a molt. I would not pluck any feathers from this hen.

Is she able to walk and move about?

Keep her quarantined from your flock. I would let her settle a bit, work on hydration. See that she's drinking well. Some electrolytes for a few hours each day would be good, then switch to plain fresh water. Offer her your normal poultry feed, whatever you feed your own hens should be fine. You can give her a boost of protein by giving bits of egg, fish or meat.

Does she have any bad odors like there is infection?
For the scabs, I would spray the wounds with Chlorhexidine. If you have Vetericyn, that would work too. This is basically flushing off any dirt or debris with an antiseptic. You can pat the scabs dry a bit, then apply triple antibiotic ointment to the scabs.
Do look under her wings for any wounds too. If there's wounds there, then treat the same way, you may need to trim a bit of fluff under the wings so the wounds stay cleaner.

Can you get photos of her feet?

While you are tending to her wounds, do look for any bugs like lice or mites, especially around the vent. If there are any, you will want to get rid of those too. Permethrin will work.

Lastly. Once she's eating/drinking well. Get some photos of her poop. I see questionable poop in her box, but that may be due to not eating/drinking and dehydration.

Hoping good things for this Gal! Please keep us posted on how she's doing.
I'm glad you were willing to take her on.

Welcome To BYC

Poor Hen!

Those don't look like burns to me, they look like a lot of scabs from being picked on.
The feather damage is from being plucked and probably from mating.
The broken feathers will not be replaced until she goes through a molt. I would not pluck any feathers from this hen.

Is she able to walk and move about?

Keep her quarantined from your flock. I would let her settle a bit, work on hydration. See that she's drinking well. Some electrolytes for a few hours each day would be good, then switch to plain fresh water. Offer her your normal poultry feed, whatever you feed your own hens should be fine. You can give her a boost of protein by giving bits of egg, fish or meat.

Does she have any bad odors like there is infection?
For the scabs, I would spray the wounds with Chlorhexidine. If you have Vetericyn, that would work too. This is basically flushing off any dirt or debris with an antiseptic. You can pat the scabs dry a bit, then apply triple antibiotic ointment to the scabs.
Do look under her wings for any wounds too. If there's wounds there, then treat the same way, you may need to trim a bit of fluff under the wings so the wounds stay cleaner.

Can you get photos of her feet?

While you are tending to her wounds, do look for any bugs like lice or mites, especially around the vent. If there are any, you will want to get rid of those too. Permethrin will work.

Lastly. Once she's eating/drinking well. Get some photos of her poop. I see questionable poop in her box, but that may be due to not eating/drinking and dehydration.

Hoping good things for this Gal! Please keep us posted on how she's doing.
I'm glad you were willing to take her on.
Thank you for your response this helps a lot. from what I’ve seen she’s scared and a tad bit slow but other than that she seems to walk fairly normal and her attempts to fly seem normal, other than the fact she can’t fly. the story I told was just the story given to me she could’ve just been picked on and found inside the car like that I don’t know for sure. this morning I got a few more pictures of some of my areas of concern
4FC6341C-D25C-406B-959B-3552CB38BD80.jpeg

First one is my concern I’m not entirely sure what the normal skin color for their pouch is supposed to be but red can be a concerning color
A3D08CCB-F99D-4D51-94B1-6282AEF8656B.jpeg

D397AE3E-676E-44E5-AD63-41B4064AF809.jpeg

These 2 are just her feet like you asked for i feel they look ok but I could be wrong
1FFCD494-7C9F-4EDA-B1CD-FAC20ED1EFAD.jpeg
8622158B-6DDE-4B8B-9FEE-BCBE4DDEAF05.jpeg

BD646F4B-71C4-46EC-A476-7C005DDA95F4.jpeg

This is her back and the sides again mostly just rough looking because the lack of feathers and some scabs
FBB59DF0-9F22-4DC7-B253-FAB63DCB531C.jpeg

This is a picture of under her wind though my concern is that spot that’s surrounded by black this is the best picture she allowed me to take she’s still fairly scared and not very trusting yet but she isn’t being aggressive or showing aggressive behavior.
As for if she smells honestly I don’t think so I couldn’t really tell so I’m going to assume she doesn't smell infected.

First one is my concern I’m not entirely sure what the normal skin color for their pouch is supposed to be but red can be a concerning color

This is a picture of under her wind though my concern is that spot that’s surrounded by black
Are you in the U.S.?

She's been through a lot. The crop (her pouch) is red and it looks full. Skin can turn a bit red when it's been plucked and rubbed like it is.
I would check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks to make sure it's emptying. That would be the main concern there. If she's not been eating/drinking regularly, it may not be functioning well.

The wound under the wing, the black is scabbing. It doesn't look too bad and is healing. I would swab it with Chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Feet look ok.

She's been mated a lot, picked on too. Likely been in close quarters. Probably a production hen. Hard to tell anything about age, but I'm wondering if she's older and gone out of production, but time will tell.

What do you feed your hen? Layer feed? If you do, then that is good to give. I would still give her some extra protein if possible. Bits of egg is good, but she may not even know what it is. Do provide some grit (crushed granite) and oyster shell free choice for her too.
I'm thinking this Gal hasn't been by herself in a long time and she just doesn't know what to do.
Go slow, give her some time. Do keep her quarantined away from your flock and observe for any symptoms of illness, especially coughing, sneezing, mucous, etc.

Are you in the U.S.?

She's been through a lot. The crop (her pouch) is red and it looks full. Skin can turn a bit red when it's been plucked and rubbed like it is.
I would check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks to make sure it's emptying. That would be the main concern there. If she's not been eating/drinking regularly, it may not be functioning well.

The wound under the wing, the black is scabbing. It doesn't look too bad and is healing. I would swab it with Chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Feet look ok.

She's been mated a lot, picked on too. Likely been in close quarters. Probably a production hen. Hard to tell anything about age, but I'm wondering if she's older and gone out of production, but time will tell.

What do you feed your hen? Layer feed? If you do, then that is good to give. I would still give her some extra protein if possible. Bits of egg is good, but she may not even know what it is. Do provide some grit (crushed granite) and oyster shell free choice for her too.
I'm thinking this Gal hasn't been by herself in a long time and she just doesn't know what to do.
Go slow, give her some time. Do keep her quarantined away from your flock and observe for any symptoms of illness, especially coughing, sneezing, mucous, etc.
Yes I am from the u.s.a more specifically Texas I do feed them a mix of chicken scratch feed with the corn and other types of seeds mixed in with a larger amount of layer feed. I plan on giving her a good amount of time. I wouldn’t want to rush her and I’m working on slowly building trust. I’ll accommodate her food and try to treat her wounds the way you told me thank you for your help!

Yes I am from the u.s.a more specifically Texas I do feed them a mix of chicken scratch feed with the corn and other types of seeds mixed in with a larger amount of layer feed. I plan on giving her a good amount of time. I wouldn’t want to rush her and I’m working on slowly building trust. I’ll accommodate her food and try to treat her wounds the way you told me thank you for your help!
Corn, seeds, etc. are treats so I would drastically limit those for her and focus on her eating the layer feed.

Sitting beside her kennel and just talking to her, reading a book or something like that so she hears you can help acclimate her.

Unless she's got something else going on like a reproductive issue, then I'm hopefully you will see improvement several weeks from now.

Please keep me posted on how she's doing!

Back
Top Bottom