Help, is Repecca a Roo or a crowing hen?

Repecca has always been my favorite AND my problem child. She is a 6 month old Lavender Orpington. Extremely friendly, unafraid of humans since day one, craves attention and snacks.
Also, she is pigeon toed, doesn't roost, preferring to sleep in the pine shavings, is prone to sour crop, and now wears a bra. She also rules the roost.
Her brother is a gorgeous specimen, twice Repeccas size and well groomed, that I returned to the breeder in exchange for pullets. Repecca doesn't have the same sleek feathering as my Buff Orpingtons, or the smooth fan tail, but she also doesn't have the tall bouncy tail of her brother. I wondered if Lavender pullets/hens just maybe looked different than Buff. Her neck feathers get pinched a bit by the bra straps so I'm not sure about the collar feathers.
I love this chook! But I can't have a rooster! Is Repecca a crowing hen? Has anyone ever had a House ROOSTER?

Why would you keep him in the house? Are you not allowed to have roosters?

Repeccas saddle feathers are more round, not spiky, aren' they? So many breeds, I'm still confused.
I've had many breeds of chickens over the years. One thing remains true in the ones I've had - cockerels/roosters have long, pointy, almost silky hackle and saddle feathers. Look on Repecca's side, over the legs. Those look like cockerel feathers to me.

Last edited:
I've had many breeds of chickens over the years. One think remains true in the ones I've had - cockerels/roosters have long, pointy, almost silky hackle and saddle feathers. Look on Repecca's side, over the legs. Those look like cockerel feathers to me.
And to me. as well His feathers are frayed (common in lavenders) making it harder to see.

Repecca is 6 months old. S-he hasn't laid an egg. Yet.:fl Today she crowed. Hasn't gotten frisky. I get so many opposing opinions I'm just wacko about this!:idunno
:hugs Just take a deep breath and relax for a minute. You're going to keep it no matter what it is, right? I don't know if you're not legally allowed roosters, or you're just worried about your family not wanting to eat the eggs if indeed it is a cockerel. But getting in a dither is not going to change the sex of this bird. It is what it is.

Crap Cryss....The pics over here make me think boy...

:barnie
I have not personally ever heard a hen crow.
The crowing and these pictures make me thing he is a he, for sure.

I am sorry.
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom