1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! IS SOMETHING WRONG?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickie momma di, Feb 9, 2009.

1. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    MY GRACIE HASN'T LEFT HER LAYING BOX ALL DAY. [​IMG] SHE ALWAYS COMES TO GREET ME WHEN I COME HOME AND SHE IS JUST SITTING IN HER BOX ALL PUFFED UP. MY HUBBY SAYS SHE'S BEEN IN THE BOX ALL DAY LONG. IS THIS NORMAL? SHE IS APROX 27 WEEKS OLD HAS NOT HAD HER 1ST MOLT AND LAYS EVERY DAY EXCEPT 2 WEEKS AGO WHEN SHE LAID A MONSTER EGG. SHOULD I DO SOMETHING OR NOTHING? I'M STILL SO NEW AT THIS.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    She might have gone broody on you. When you try to pick her up does she fluff up a bit and protest? If so, I'll bet her hormones have kicked in and made her broody.

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i second that,,,, sounds like she wants to be a mommy [​IMG]

4. chickie momma di

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    [​IMG] I SURE HOPE YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT. SHE IS VERY PUFFY AND MADE A FUNNY NOISE WHEN WE WENT TO CHECK ON HER. SOUNDED LIKE A SCREECH AND SHE HAD AN EGG SHE WASN'T SITTING ON BUT WAS IN THE BOX (WE CHECK EVERY DAY) . HER VENT LOOKS FINE CLEAN AND CLEAR. SHE FEELS KINDA HARD ALMOST LIKE THERE COULD BE ANOTHER EGG IN THERE IS THAT POSSIBLE? DID I MENTION THAT SHE'S A BUFF ORPH?

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    If she is a buff....100% broody.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

[​IMG] [​IMG] @ the screech,,, thats puts the nail in the coffin,, she's broody,,, if there was something wrong with her she wouldnt have screeched at ya [​IMG]

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Yes, definitely broody.

P.S. WHY ARE WE YELLING?

8. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG]

9. chickie momma di

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    sorry about the yelling thing. [​IMG] didn't know.
    if i leave an egg will we get a chick? we live in southern ma isn't it too cold yet for that stuff? i'd love to be a chickie grand momma. [​IMG]

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Do you have fertile eggs? then yes, you might get one if you left and egg in with her.. but wh stop at one egg? give her 10 eggs.. she is going to be out of ommision for 3 weeks either way..

and no it is not too cold or early for that sort of thing.. You did say she is a Buff Orp, right? I had at least 6 broody all winter.. B>O>'s
    I had the roosters penned away from them so none of the eggs were fertile..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by