Help -- Is this a Wheaten Marans?

wsdareme

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Yelm, WA
I purchased and hatched 7 French Black Copper Marans eggs. 6 of the chicks were dark, and the 7th was light colored. I was told that it is not uncommon for Wheaten Marans to occur from BCM crosses. Is that true? Now, at 6 weeks, he still appears to be white. Is that normal for a Wheaten? Will it be a while before his colored feathers come in?
hu.gif

Here is a picture of the little guy...
50766_cimg2905.jpg

The picture below shows him with one of his hatch-mates, a BCM that looks like I'm guessing it should at 6 weeks.
50766_cimg2913.jpg

I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with my wonderful husband, 4 horses, 2 dogs, 3 cats, and, 12 young hens (hopefully they're hens) and 3 Marans chicks. Who could ask for more? Update: I didn't ask for more, but my DH's boss gave us 12 EE chicks. Plus we just hatched another 4 Marans and 3 Ameraucanas. Oh, lordy, I'm turning into "The Crazy Chicken Lady".

Quote:
I am terribly new to the chicken world. What is a white sport? I'm not aware of the breeder having white Marans, and I was under the impression that she keeps her breeders separated. Can a white sport occur in a mating of two Black Copper Marans? I also purchased Splash and Blue Marans eggs from her, and got 2 splash and 2 blue. I sent her a picture of him as well and asked what he was, but she hasn't emailed me back. I have a lot to learn, but I'm learning fast!
big_smile.png

Recessive genes are not uncommon in chickens.
Many Black Copper Marans in the US carry the recessive Wheaten gene. To get a Wheaten chick both parents must carry the same recessive gene. In your case it looks like you have a recessive White bird, this mean that both parents carry the recessive white gene. Recessive White is more common in Cuckoo Marans, however many people have crossed Cuckoo Marans to Black Copper Marans.

Back
Top Bottom