HELP! It look oms like my duck is missing an eye!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lillyrosesmum, Aug 16, 2016.

1. lillyrosesmum

lillyrosesmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas
    I came out to feed this morning and found one of my ducks sagging her head. One side of her face is swollen and it looks like she's missing a eye! i know shes in pain and all she wants to do is hide and hang her head. What should I do? They are free range so anything could have happened. :hit

[​IMG]

2. NathanZee

NathanZee Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

[​IMG]Poor thing! I really don't know what to do for her, I hope someone comes along who can help. [​IMG]

3. thegoldengirls

thegoldengirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central NY
    Vetericyn eye wash is something I keep on hand. Works great for foamy eye and irritations. However, if you think the eye is ruptured or gone, it won't do anything. You'll need an antibiotic ointment to keep infection away. If you can keep her eating and free of infection, she'll survive, but at a bit of a disadvantage when free range. Best of luck to you.

4. lillyrosesmum

lillyrosesmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas
    Well it turns out she was bit by a snake. Not sure which kind. After dosing her with children's benadryl for her extreme swelling, Advil for the pain, antibiotics, a worried duck mom and a dark quiet room to recoup she is doing fine. :celebrate her eye is there but has a fog but I do know she is using it. It may clear up completely but only time will tell. All is well and today is her last round of antibiotics! :ya

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

6. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Oh my goodness, the poor dear! Good job taking care of her, and so glad to hear she is ok. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by