HELP. ive got bloody poop... WiTH WORMS in it!

Gearhead846

Am I bleeding?
Premium Feather Member
Dec 6, 2021
Hi I went in to my chickens coop this morning and I looked on The floor and I saw this. It looks like worms in a pile of bloody poo there was more but I must've stepped on it. Can anyone tell me what this means and how to treat it
20211212_074155.jpg

Hi I went in to my chickens coop this morning and I looked on The floor and I saw this. It looks like worms in a pile of bloody poo there was more but I must've stepped on it. Can anyone tell me what this means and how to treat itView attachment 2926654
Yep, that's a worm.

Have you ever dewormed your birds?

That is an intestinal lining and a roundworm. I start to see those as a sign before roundworms start being pooped out. You need Safeguard which can be bought at tactorsupply.

Most times people recommend Corid for intestinal lined poops but it has never helped my chickens, only the dewormer got rid of them. I guess it depends on what parasite is bothering the intestines. The worms and intestinal linings appear on a regular schedule here, which is about every 2 months.

Chickens can get several different types of worms. Roundworms, which looks like what it is your picture, is one of the only types to be able to be seen without a microscope by a vet. Valbazen (albendazole) is an excellent dewormer that gets most all possible worms in chickens. Dosage is 0.08 ml per pound (or 0.5 ml for a 4-6 pound chicken) given orally once, and then repeated in 10 days to get any newly hatched worms from worm eggs. It is available in some feed stores, but easily found online.

SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or horse paste is fenbendazole. It can treat many worms in chickens. Dosage depends on what worms you are treating. Dosage is 0.25 ml given once and in 10 days for roundworms. Give it orally for 5 days, and it will test hard to treat worms such as gapeworms, capillary (thread) worms. Always shake these wormers well, give orally undiluted, and use a syringe for accurate dosage. Taking some droppings in to a vet for a fecal float can tell you if they have more than just roundworms.

And relax. Not everyone is going to be on BYC 24/7, and worms aren't going to suddenly kill your chickens unless the load is really bad, but if the first symptom is the worm in the poop, you're flock is going to be ok.

Also, that isn't blood. It's intestinal lining, which chickens often pass. No need to panic.
☺️

Back
Top Bottom