HELP!! Large bump near my hens eye!!

yyutiw

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2017
I’ve had chickens for over a year now, and there haven’t been any issues until very recently. Today when I went to check on my chickens, I noticed one of my hens has a large round bump near her eye. Her eye is also completely shut, and I noticed there is a clear fluid leaking out of it. I immediately separated her from the rest of my chickens, and I don’t know what to do! She is only a few months old! I attached a photo of her eye so you could get a better understanding of what’s wrong. If anyone knows how to fix this, please tell me!!! Thanks!

Attachments

• DF3BE218-02E1-4663-94E8-365EC3221628.jpeg
    DF3BE218-02E1-4663-94E8-365EC3221628.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 20
What does it feel like ? Soft and squishy like swelling from an intect bite or sting? Or firm and soft, or hard? Before lancing it, make sure that it is an abscess which is firmer and filled with solidified pus. Just use caution if you do lance it, disinfect the surface with antiseptic, and use a tissue or similar to not get any pus into the eye.
Sometimes a large lump like that may be from stings, bug bites, a peck to the head, or possibly from a respiratory sinus infection. More rarely, it could be a tumor. If I suspected a sting or tick bite, I would give 1/2 of a 25 mg benadryl (diphenhydramine.)

What does it feel like ? Soft and squishy like swelling from an intect bite or sting? Or firm and soft, or hard? Before lancing it, make sure that it is an abscess which is firmer and filled with solidified pus. Just use caution if you do lance it, disinfect the surface with antiseptic, and use a tissue or similar to not get any pus into the eye.
Sometimes a large lump like that may be from stings, bug bites, a peck to the head, or possibly from a respiratory sinus infection. More rarely, it could be a tumor. If I suspected a sting or tick bite, I would give 1/2 of a 25 mg benadryl (diphenhydramine.)
The outside of it almost feels like a layer of thin plastic, and the bump itself feels like a little sac of air. It can be squished a little, but if I squeezed too hard it feels like it would burst.

Clear fluid could mean it is a blister. I would take a washcloth or paper towel folded, and gently press to see if the fluid leaks out. Can you also give some more info about how long you havw noticed it, any peck marks or sting marks, etc.

Back
Top Bottom