Help! Lethargic chick!

LienaJ

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2016
I took this little one home yesterday from the barn where I keep my horse because he couldn't keep up with his hen and his other siblings, I'm pretty sure something up with his foot but he wasn't acting sick yesterday. He eat fine and was doing all of the chicken things, but this morning he wont open his eyes, hes lethargic, he can hardly stand on his own. I think he may have gotten chilled, but I'm not 100%

I gave him a little sugar water which he drank a little of, and I've got him warmed up. What can I do for him?

Hes warm, I've got him set up over some warm water bottles and he has really perked up. He is standing kind of normal now, except for his one foot that he was having trouble with before. Hes drinking just fine for me but I'm having trouble getting him interested in his food. He's opening his eyes now too. I'll see if I can get some pics.

Hes really perking up, but still not eating. I'm keeping him warm, hes drinking all the water I'm offering him, and hes standing now, he still prefers to keep his eyes closed but he opens them to focus. I'm just having trouble with the eating part.

Hes really perking up, but still not eating. I'm keeping him warm, hes drinking all the water I'm offering him, and hes standing now, he still prefers to keep his eyes closed but he opens them to focus. I'm just having trouble with the eating part.

He's not interested in anything. I am thinking about just letting him sit for a while and rest and come back and see how hes doing, I think I might have to force feed him. : /

He's not interested in anything. I am thinking about just letting him sit for a while and rest and come back and see how hes doing, I think I might have to force feed him. : /
Could be he's just in pain, but eitherway, keep up the drinking with the electrolyte fluid until you see he's eating on his own. Sometimes adding some water to the feed and making it soupy helps them, although I was never successful with mine to do that method. Keep up the warming, and help it drink a few drops every like 20-30 minutes, til u see it get its normal behavior back, like eating and drinking on its own. Have much success!

Back
Top Bottom