Help! Lethargic Hen

Aced

Hatching
May 5, 2022
Hi guys! I'm having trouble with one of my hens and I need some help! She is super lethargic, with little interest in eating or drinking. I thought that it was an impacted crop, but her crop is mostly empty now and she hasn't really improved. I can't tell if she's egg bound, as I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be feeling for, but she doesn't seem to be exhibiting the behavior that I've seen mentioned online. Please help if you have any advice!!!

I would give her a tablet of calcium citrate (500mg, the human kind) just pop it straight into her beak. That can help in case she’s egg bound, and won’t do any harm.

Any chance of worms or parasites? Check if her crop is emptying overnight.
Pictures? Any other symptoms?

Hi guys! I'm having trouble with one of my hens and I need some help! She is super lethargic, with little interest in eating or drinking. I thought that it was an impacted crop, but her crop is mostly empty now and she hasn't really improved. I can't tell if she's egg bound, as I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be feeling for, but she doesn't seem to be exhibiting the behavior that I've seen mentioned online. Please help if you have any advice!!!
Welcome To BYC

How old is your hen?
When is the last time she laid an egg?
Is she pooping? What does it look like (photo)?
How long has she been unwell?

Any chance she has eaten something moldy or toxic?

You mention you first thought she had an impacted crop...is her crop completely emptying overnight? Have you treated her for impacted crop, what treatment?

I would work on hydration since she's not drinking. Electrolytes would be a good idea if you have them. Once she's drinking, then offer some wet soaked feed.

Welcome To BYC

How old is your hen?
When is the last time she laid an egg?
Is she pooping? What does it look like (photo)?
How long has she been unwell?

Any chance she has eaten something moldy or toxic?

You mention you first thought she had an impacted crop...is her crop completely emptying overnight? Have you treated her for impacted crop, what treatment?

I would work on hydration since she's not drinking. Electrolytes would be a good idea if you have them. Once she's drinking, then offer some wet soaked feed.
She is around 6-7 years old. She's been unwell for I think 4 days now. She's not really laying anymore.
She's pooping some, but it's really liquid and kinda mucus-y.
If she ate something off, there's a high chance that the rest of the flock had access and everyone else is fine.
Her crop is emptying, it's gone down a lot since I first checked her. I gave her warm water and some coconut oil, then massaged her crop. This was a few days ago and her crop has reduced since then.
I've been trying to give her more warm water, last night I mixed in a little bit of honey to try to help her energy. I did see her drinking from the waterer this morning!

I would give her a tablet of calcium citrate (500mg, the human kind) just pop it straight into her beak. That can help in case she’s egg bound, and won’t do any harm.

Any chance of worms or parasites? Check if her crop is emptying overnight.
Pictures? Any other symptoms?
I just picked some calcium citrate today and I'll try to give her some this evening.
My whole flock has lice or mites, which I've been struggling to get rid of for years now. I'm hoping that I can finally get rid of those this spring/summer before I go back to school.
Her crop has emptied overnight. And I haven't seen any other evidence of parasites.
She's just kinda standing off by herself a lot, I'll try to get a good picture of her posture this evening.

Her crop is emptying, it's gone down a lot since I first checked her. I gave her warm water and some coconut oil, then massaged her crop. This was a few days ago and her crop has reduced since then.

My whole flock has lice or mites, which I've been struggling to get rid of for years now. I'm hoping that I can finally get rid of those this spring/summer before I go back to school.
Her crop has emptied overnight. And I haven't seen any other evidence of parasites.
Is her crop empty first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink?

What have you been using to try to get rid of the lice and mites?

Is her crop empty first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink?

What have you been using to try to get rid of the lice and mites?
Her crop felt empty this morning, just as she left the coop.
Before, I've used an anti-mite spray or dust on my birds, as well as dusting and spraying down what I can reach in the coop (everything except the very top roost). I also usually bathe all of my birds in the summer, when it's warm enough. I've been away at college for the past 4 years, so I haven't been able to stay on top of it as much as I would've liked.

Back
Top Bottom