chickychickss

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2023
One of my hens was dealing with impacted crop she isn’t anymore. But she doesn’t have much of an appetite and it’s concerning me because shes underweight. I’m not sure what’s going on or what can be wrong. I believe it’s a crop issue more than impacted/sour crop. She isn’t really eating feed usually just in the morning. She does drink water but sometimes she doesn’t. I try to give her some feed but she just pecks at it doesn’t eat it. She wasn’t behaving this way she started acting like this right after she had an impacted crop but she isn’t lethargic or anything it’s just the issue with her not eating as well. She does like snacks still like fruit and veggies but sometimes she doesn’t eat it. Hopefully we can figure out what’s wrong with her and to get her to eat normally again :)

Is her crop emptying overnight?

If it's not, then I'd begin addressing that symptom according to the article below.

Photos of her and her poop may be helpful.

How old is she, when was the last time she laid an egg and what do you normally feed including treats?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Her crop is emptying yes. She’s about to be 6 years old next year she hasn’t laid an egg for a while last time was maybe when she was 4 years old. I normally feed her regular food and snacks it’s always fruits and veggies she likes watermelon,grapes, etc… I’m aware of the foods hens can or can’t have. I don’t give her many snacks it’s mostly during the afternoon and that’s it!! She spends her whole day outside free ranging :)

*here’s a picture of her poo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    875.2 KB · Views: 7
One of my hens was dealing with impacted crop she isn’t anymore.

I’m not sure what’s going on or what can be wrong. I believe it’s a crop issue more than impacted/sour crop. She isn’t really eating feed

She does like snacks still like fruit and veggies

Her crop is emptying yes.
I'm a bit confused I guess.

Your title says "Crop Issue On Chicken!!"
Your post says, I believe it's a crop issue more than impacted/sour crop, but you WERE dealing with impacted crop but Not Anymore and that the crop is emptying.

If the crop is emptying, then you are not likely dealing with a crop issue. Perhaps some type of digestive problem, but if the crop is emptying then it's not the crop.

Have you dewormed her?
She's 6 years old and hasn't laid eggs in a couple of years, so she may be suffering from a reproductive problem, but it's hard to know.

Consider deworming her, focus on her eating her normal feed and cut out the treats. See if this helps with the loose poop. If she's eating a lot of melon/fruit and snacks this can cause watery poop.

I'm a bit confused I guess.

Your title says "Crop Issue On Chicken!!"
Your post says, I believe it's a crop issue more than impacted/sour crop, but you WERE dealing with impacted crop but Not Anymore and that the crop is emptying.

If the crop is emptying, then you are not likely dealing with a crop issue. Perhaps some type of digestive problem, but if the crop is emptying then it's not the crop.

Have you dewormed her?
She's 6 years old and hasn't laid eggs in a couple of years, so she may be suffering from a reproductive problem, but it's hard to know.

Consider deworming her, focus on her eating her normal feed and cut out the treats. See if this helps with the loose poop. If she's eating a lot of melon/fruit and snacks this can cause watery poop.
Yes I was dealing with a crop issue it was impacted crop. I titled my post that way because I believe she has something else but it’s not impacted crop or sour crop. But it’s a crop issue and I’m not sure what.
Today her crop actually didn’t empty but it wasn’t hard it was quite squishy but not watery I’ve given her coconut oil and did a massage. She does seem kinda slow today it’s worrying me. I’ll consider the deworming. And yes she most likely has watery poo because of the watermelon. I’ll see if she wants feed she doesn’t really eat it that’s the problem. She hasn’t had an appetite. I believe I’m dealing with something else but I’m not sure what

When one of mine was recovering from a severely impacted crop, it took a while for her to get back to normal. Her comb was pale, she wouldn’t eat, etc. I started giving her sugar water with a syringe which really seamed to help her energy. It also was a way to ensure she was not getting dehydrated. I also used starter crumbles that I fed her separate from the others and I would stay with her to make sure she was eating again. Slowly, she started with the crumbles and began to come back around. It took about two-three weeks before she started to lay again. She is back to her old self now, healthy, active and noisy in the mornings.

When one of mine was recovering from a severely impacted crop, it took a while for her to get back to normal. Her comb was pale, she wouldn’t eat, etc. I started giving her sugar water with a syringe which really seamed to help her energy. It also was a way to ensure she was not getting dehydrated. I also used starter crumbles that I fed her separate from the others and I would stay with her to make sure she was eating again. Slowly, she started with the crumbles and began to come back around. It took about two-three weeks before she started to lay again. She is back to her old self now, healthy, active and noisy in the mornings.
What ratio with the sugar water?
I’ll see if I can get starter crumbles. I’m not to sure if she’ll eat them because she has no appetite. right now she’s currently sitting down with her head down too she doesn’t seem very well. Was your hen underweight too?

3 tablespoons in 1 quart warm water. Mine had lost weight, pale comb and lethargic….just sitting in one place for long periods. She started perking up after the first syringe of sugar water. That will give her electrolytes and energy right away. I did that every two hours.

Last edited:
3 tablespoons in 1 quart warm water. Mine had lost weight, pale comb and lethargic….just sitting in one place for long periods. She started peeking up after the first syringe of sugar water. That will give her electrolytes and energy right away. I did that every two hours.
oh okay thank you so much I’ll start to try this. And just one syringe every 2 hours? when would I give her the starter crumbs? After she seems like she’s getting better?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom