Help - Listless, unsteady, drooping wings and tail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by imbzquiltn, Mar 8, 2009.

1. imbzquiltn

imbzquiltn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    I went out to give my girls a treat just now only to find one of my Americanas not doing so well. I looked her over well and could find nothing obviously wrong. Strong legs, no bites or sore spots. Wings work. Eyes are clear and focused. She seems to be breathing well.

She just looks like she doesn't feel well. She laid an egg yesterday - a bit smaller than usual, but nothing to send up red flags. We even ate it last night and there was nothing different.

The other 3 (in that coop) seem fine. My daughter gave them a treat earlier (left overs), is it possible something didn't set well in her tummy?

She just looks so pitiful.

Ariel is an Americana, about 10 months old and has been laying since November-ish.

Help!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Could it be Mareks disease?

3. TimeMist

TimeMist Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    New Zealand
    How does her crop feel? Is it empty in the morning before she gets fed or is it still full from the night before?

4. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    i would wait a few days before i take her to a vet or something

5. imbzquiltn

Feb 1, 2009
    Her crop is full now. I don't know what her "norm" is, though. I can pet her, normally, but she does not like being picked up, so I haven't felt her crop on a regular basis.

As of now - 10 p.m., she's the same. No better, no worse. I've got her inside and I'm giving her water - want to make sure she stays hydrated. I'll give her a bit more before bedtime and say a few prayers.

Diane

6. TimeMist

TimeMist Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    New Zealand
    Check her crop first thing in the morning, before you feed them. Her crop should be empty (nice and flat) to show that at least her digestive system is working. If it's full then that can be the side effect of another problem, or be the problem itself (ie compacted crop or pulpy crop)

7. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    How is her comb color compared to the other girls? If it is paler, she could need some worming. Or, she could be getting broody.

8. imbzquiltn

Feb 1, 2009
    Well, Ariel didn't make it through the night. She went to sleep at some point and slipped away. At least she was in here with us, warm and comfortable. [​IMG]

I am going to run out and check the other girls' crops now. Just for future reference. They've had time to eat some, but I should notice a difference from yesterday at the very least.

The rest seem hearty and hale this morning, so I'm hoping and praying this was a one-chicken thing.

Since they were all together when I found her, should I worry about sterilizing anything? Don't know how I could sterilize a coop, but I would willingly give it a go. . . .

Diane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by