Help, male duck attacking female

Angela Anderson

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2018
North Carolina
I am a first time duck owner an could use some help an insight. I have 1 male an 3 female ducks, going on 6 months old. Everything was wonderful an great in my flock until about a week ago when my male started to single out one of the females chasing her out of the group, biting at her an making her an outcast. For whatever reason he loves he's other to females but will not let this one in the pool, eat, graze or even just chill with the other females anymore. The poor girl tries to get close but is always on guard for an attack now. Just today I could have swore I saw him breed for the first time. Is this a breeding thing? Will it work itself out, do I remove her? It's so sad to watch an I feel so heart broken for her. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them.

I haven't had a drake but I had a rooster a couple years ago that suddenly took a dislike to one of my hens. He'd run across the yard if he saw her and attack. Her neck looked like hamburger. Since she was a favorite of mine I had to rehome the rooster.

Since you want babies you could rehome the female duck or rehome the drake and find a replacement for him.

Honestly I would separate the drake for about a week in a see but no touch situation...then watch your hens they may actually be the culprits causing the one hen to be ousted by the male if his fave females don't like her neither will he if no problems after a week try them together again and if they like her the other hens will try to keep the peace and he will learn to like her...in ducks it's very suttle body language but the hens are in charge

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom