Help...mass chick death and one surviving chick.

Feath3rDust3r

Songster
5 Years
Mar 16, 2019
Altoona, IA
So we had 8 very healthy week old chicks. This is about our 6th time to raise chicks. We woke up yesterday morning and found a box of what I thought was all dead chicks. I don't really know why but it just looked like they had gone to sleep...anyway we kicked the box etc and no movement. After further investigation we decided we had a gas leak in the garage anyway to cut a long story short I put the entire box out by the garbage can. When I went to take the garbage out this morning I heard some cheeping...upon checking the box I found one little chick had come back to life!!! The rest were definitely very dead. How this week old baby has survived 24 hours of below 70 degrees I have no idea! Anyway I brought her back inside and put the lamp back on but she is very lonely. I don't know where i can find more chicks atm but I do have 3 6 week old Guinea foul. Do you think I could put her in with them?

I've raised guineas together with chickens before. They do pretty good in a large free range setting. But whenever I had chicks, I always had to make sure they had a really protective mama hen watching out for them, or the guineas would get after the chicks.
Guineas are really good watch dogs, and they'll do a number on any bugs in your yard. But mine were never very tolerant of young chicks.

So we had 8 very healthy week old chicks. This is about our 6th time to raise chicks. We woke up yesterday morning and found a box of what I thought was all dead chicks. I don't really know why but it just looked like they had gone to sleep...anyway we kicked the box etc and no movement. After further investigation we decided we had a gas leak in the garage anyway to cut a long story short I put the entire box out by the garbage can. When I went to take the garbage out this morning I heard some cheeping...upon checking the box I found one little chick had come back to life!!! The rest were definitely very dead. How this week old baby has survived 24 hours of below 70 degrees I have no idea! Anyway I brought her back inside and put the lamp back on but she is very lonely. I don't know where i can find more chicks atm but I do have 3 6 week old Guinea foul. Do you think I could put her in with them?
If we live near enough, I can give you a couple chicks. I'm in eastern/Central NC.

Back
Top Bottom