Help me change the law in West Hartford CT

Still no news in West Hartford, but I've met a few stealth chicken farmers around here and they're all doing such a great job (only 2 or 3 quiet well-contained birds, cute little well-kept coops) that I bet they'll win over the powers that be. They won me over for sure--I was not sure how I felt about chickens and now I'm pro-poultry.

Not sure why people think Malloy has anything to do with local ordinances.

Hello All!

I too am a west hartford resident and i want chickens in my backyard!

Has this initiative died? Can we rehabilitate it? I'd love to get involved somehow!

I'm sure some of you from the few years past might have given up or you're frustrated with the lack of progress and that's fine - whoever has been initiating things with the town might want to pass the torch to some of us new comers so we can continue to fight for you and the rest of the town's residents.

I want the law changed and will work with other people to help get it done - lets keep it going!

I have four kids and would LOVE to get 3 or 4 hens. I grew up in tiny farming town and now have my children in this over-regulated suburb in CT. Just wondering if there has been any change by the zoning board. I called about 2-21/5 years ago to ask about having a few chickens and the guy just laughed at me. I'm so excited there has been a movement to change the ordinance. I hope it is continuing and I would love to help if there's anything I can do. Will call again with my fingers crossed. Someone commented that "chickens and West Hartford seem like an oxymoron". Just shows how uneducated people are!

Hello everyone.
I am a current West Hartford resident. And also agree that having chickens is beneficial in many different aspects. I currently am running a stealth operation in my backyard. I have built a chicken coop and a nice chicken run. At this time I have 4 hens and just found out as of this week 1 is rooster. I have a pretty big back yard and neighbors are pretty spread out. I've had these chickens since the end of July 2014 and got them as chicks. I want to be able to help support the fight to be aloud to have chickens in West Hartford. It is crazy how people are regulated on having chickens in their own backyard.

email. any questions or comments [email protected]

I'm in west hartford and am moving up from an eglu go to an eglu cube. Yes, there are all sorts of conversations on these boards about how expensive the eglu equipment is (and it isn't as pretty as some coops, unless you happen to like plastic). But there cannot be any easier to clean coop out there--and it stayed warm even this winter (I bought the insulating insertions). If any stealth farmer wants an easy-to-use chicken containment unit that keeps the critters away and gives the girls some room, you can't do any better than an eglu with an attached run. I love mine, which is why I'm sticking with eglu-vian products.

Some comments over on amazon about the eglu go tell sad stories about raccoons. I have the added feature lock that keeps them out of the coop. Good thing because we have raccoons around here. I've seen their little paw prints all over the my go some mornings!

Anyway, sometime in July, I'll have an eglu go for sale locally. It's green. If you want, I'll post pictures but so far this is the only one I can find -- it shows that the wire on the run is pretty sturdy.

Shhhh,
your fellow stealth farmer

Last edited:
Just got back from Florida yesterday and find a letter from the town of West Hartford saying I have 30 days to get rid of my chickens. I am trying to get a petition going for the residents of West Hartford to allow us to have chickens. I also emailed the major trying to find out what more can be done on this issue, seems like every time the ball starts rolling on the matter it just comes to a hault. Help me change this rediculus law. And let's not stop until it changes. Thank you to all the supporters who are trying to help. Get the word out!! #savethechcikens #wehagrown

Just got back from Florida yesterday and find a letter from the town of West Hartford saying I have 30 days to get rid of my chickens.
Ridiculous! West Hartford has a huge crime problem, but instead of focusing on violence and theft, they attack you for having chickens. Again, ridiculous.

For change, it is good to get as many people as possible aware of the situation and on your side. If you could take photographs and videos of your chickens, showing they are clean animals, and perhaps get signed notes from your neighbors saying the birds do not bother them- that may help. Explain to people that these are your pets, just like a dog or cat. Take pictures of yourself holding them. That will get people stirred up and on your side. (Can anyone say if West Hartford has BSL/Breed-Specific-Legislation outlawing certain dog breeds? That would be useful to know because it would tell us how serious they are about banning certain types of animals.)

Keep us updated on that petition and any other news. In the mean time, if you have relatives or friends in another town- you should probably contact them just in case the city forces you to give up your birds. You'll need a back-up plan, somewhere to put the chickens if West Hartford refuses to house them.

And for anyone else reading this in West Hartford who wishes they could legally keep chickens... I think (but am not certain) that coturnix quail are legal in many places where chickens are not. They provide eggs and meat so if that is what you are looking for, this may be a (temporary) solution until chickens are legalized.

Back
Top Bottom