Help me change the law in West Hartford CT

Abbbby333

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Hi Everyone,

My name is Abby. I don't have chickens yet but only because it is illegal where i live, west hartford CT. I am very determined to change the law and i was wondering if there was anyone in West Hartford who wanted to as well. we deserve the right to provide for ourselves and legalizing chicken ownership can be the first step.

Hi WH Chicken Peeps,
We are the family at the corner of Birch and Walbridge with the signs! (And there was a story about our Save the Chicken Petition on Eyewitness News today (http://www.wfsb.com/story/29379879/west-hartford-family-petitions-to-keep-their-chickens). We have a hearing scheduled for July 15th in front of the Zoning Board of appeals; we, like the post-er who just got back from Florida to find a "remove your chickens or else letter," are being told to get rid of our hens. These are the same hens to which the Town was referring when, via an August 2014 phone call to Town Hall, they described them as "neither legal nor illegal and therefore, as long as the neighbors are ok, we are as well." On that good faith approval, we have invested a lot of money and love. We are being told that the since town's permissive ordinance doesn't specifically identify chickens--they are indeed neither legal nor illegal--the default is that they are illegal.
How can we push to get an ordinance specifically addressing chickens? Maybe we can start by joining together on July 15th? Or meeting up beforehand?
Go chickens! Asha

Just got back from Florida yesterday and find a letter from the town of West Hartford saying I have 30 days to get rid of my chickens. I am trying to get a petition going for the residents of West Hartford to allow us to have chickens. I also emailed the major trying to find out what more can be done on this issue, seems like every time the ball starts rolling on the matter it just comes to a hault. Help me change this rediculus law. And let's not stop until it changes. Thank you to all the supporters who are trying to help. Get the word out!! #savethechcikens #wehagrown

I'm the editor of We-Ha.com, the online news site in West Hartford. I was running to Elizabeth Park today and saw the sign about saving the chickens at the house on the corner of Birch and Waldbridge. I have some other chicken connections in West Hartford and would love to write about the chicken farmers.

I wrote about the ordinance issue several years ago when I was with another publication, and will look to do that again, but before I do, I would like to get an idea of how many chickens we have in West Hartford.

I would like to give the town a "stealth tour" of chicken coops in town. Would anyone be willing to participate? I'd especially like to include the gorgeous coop on Birch/Waldbrige (that one doesn't need to be a secret). I promise to keep you a secret, and hope some will participate.

Please contact me at [email protected] if possible!

Thanks!
Ronni Newton

sorry they are illegal.....are you sure...? have you called the town hall etc.? perhaps the acre of land is the problem? some towns thats what i have heard. i dunno.
do you have real close neighbors?
you could move out to the country? okay if thats not an idear, than i would not buy chicks or chickens because if you are found out, that means loosing them. just my thoughts here.
wink.png
some people do the (illegal thing, owning chickens when they are not allowed) that too me is just too risky, because when these babie chicks are growing and you become attached to them.
smile.png

there are some coops that are designed to look discreat, so that too is an option ( if your going the illegal way).
good luck to you tho.
wink.png

Last edited:
I have done a little research into this, the Town code doesn't say anything about chickens. However I contacted the Town and was told that we have what is called a permissive ordinance, which means if it is not mentioned in the code then it is not permitted, so theoretically you can not have chickens. I asked the person I talked to where in the code was the permissive thing listed and he could not tell me. Now I am no lawyer, but if if I got busted for having chickens how could they cite me or fine me, because there is no provision for it in the first place.

Also I could not find anywhere where the code said anything about pets ie dogs and cats, so does that mean I can't have one?? The whole thing seems a little weak from a stand point of enforcement.

Having said all that, I would be all about working towards making it permissible to own chickens in West Hartford, so if others are interested maybe we should get together and see what we can do to make this happen

I don't live in West Hartford but do live nearby. Don't they have pretty stringent rules about things like number of pets allowed? I'd think you may have a pretty hard time getting the laws changed there but you should definitely try. Maybe you could try reaching out to some green living type groups in the area.

If they do then it's not in the town code. I think you are right though better to work it through proper channels and all, although surprisingly, as much as folks talk about being green and sustainable, getting people behind something that requires effort around here is tough. One example is composting, I have been doing it in my backyard for several years and while everyone thinks it is really cool no one will do it no matter how easy I explain that it is. People tend to think you have to live out in the country to be sustainable.

I Live in New Britain CT and own my home. i too would love to own chickens in my house. curently i have mines in a horse farm i rent from, but i cant according to zoning , have them at home. i own about .61 acre land with house but they still say no. A lot of people have them all over yet if they get caught might be trouble but i think if a person is allowed to own a very noisy dog them y not a chicken not all of us like dogs barking all day....just saying.. i tried aswell searching the ordinance but no where it says keeping chickens it does how ever say keeping pigeons or pigs is illegal and keeping slaughter house is also illegal but i just want my hens for eggs and its all..

Back
Top Bottom