Sneaky Pennsylvanian township amending rules

Goosey Girl

Songster
Dec 31, 2021
A friend of mine brought this to my attention....

Lower Providence Township in eastern Pennsylvania will vote to virtually eliminate the ownership of all chickens in their community. There will be a meeting July 20th at 7pm to vote in an extremely unfair amendment to their rules.

I don't live in that township, but will probably show up to help show support for keeping current rules in place.

Take a gander at THIS.....
IMG_2145.jpeg

IMG_2146.jpeg

IMG_2147.jpeg

Talk about a complete loss of civil liberties! This only applies to chickens (not ducks, geese, turkeys, etc.). They will need a permit to have a chicken coop or run! They'll have officials do inspections on properties. The hen limit is insane. Fencing will have to be "extending underground at least one foot").

If anybody knows anyone in Audubon, Collegeville, Trooper area of PA, please let them know that they are most likely going to loose their right to own hens!

IF ANYONE has suggestions or experience with this type of situation please post. If this passes; who knows who will be next!?!

This is a more restrictive law than many major cities.

I live in a city of more than a million people, and EVERY property of any size is allowed to keep 4 hens; if you have more than 10,000sf then you can have 6; and if you have 20,000sf then there is no limit. There are suggested sizes of coops, very reasonable property setbacks (5ft) and dwelling setbacks (30ft) for coop locations, and general suggestions as well as an admonishment not to create a nuisance with odor or vermin.

Maybe suggest that the law be rewritten with looser requirements?

This is a more restrictive law than many major cities.

I live in a city of more than a million people, and EVERY property of any size is allowed to keep 4 hens; if you have more than 10,000sf then you can have 6; and if you have 20,000sf then there is no limit. There are suggested sizes of coops, very reasonable property setbacks (5ft) and dwelling setbacks (30ft) for coop locations, and general suggestions as well as an admonishment not to create a nuisance with odor or vermin.

Maybe suggest that the law be rewritten with looser requirements?
I agree completely with you and will pass this on to our friend. Thankfully, I don't live in that township, but I'm sure there are many who have no idea what is going on in their community! It is just soooo wrong.

This smells of chicken industry lobbyists "helping" to rewrite/modernize community regulations and laws.

As many responsible/competent authorities nowadays show an astonishing lack of information on the topics they are supposed to make decisions on, they call in the "professionals" to help and give their experienced assessments to base their new regulations on.

Back
Top Bottom