Help me choose new chickens!!!

newchickenfamily

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
SF Bay Area - Danville
We are brand new to the "chicken world" and hope that we can get some advice from the pros! We are on the verge of starting our own small flock in our suburban backyard. (My husband finally caved!
big_smile.png
)

We would like to get 3 different breeds.

A little background on us. We have 3 young kids (8,5,2) and 2 dogs. Docile and friendly personalities would be important.

Here are the breeds that our local feed store stocks on a regular basis:

If you were me, what 3 would you choose?

Buff Orpingtons
RIR
Barred Rock
Australorp
Ameruacanas
Sex-linked (black & gold)
Welsummers

Any help from the chicken lovers out there would be much appreciated!!
big_smile.png

orpingtons, reds, Araucana... These r all good layers and u will enjoy the cool eggs from the araucanas....

Last edited:
I have Welsummers, Barred Rock, a Buff orphington, a New Hampshire, and Black and Red Sex links.

The Welsummers are gentle and friendly and wag their tails like a dog, and the Barred Rocks are total cuddly sweethearts. Of course I petted them all everyday and held them everyday since they were babies. It took the Welsummers a while before they'd sit on my lap though *since they are very active* . The Buff orphington I have actually tries to peck me, I don't know why, it likes being held, and is very soft, maybe it's spoiled or too interested in a hand held treat? . The New Hampshire has never tried to peck me, but tolerates being held. The red sex links are crazy things that don't like to be cuddled. The black sex links are mostly friendly (2 of 3 are sweet and loveable- and 1 of them is total evil demon spawn)

The Welsummers and Sex links are the noisiest, then the new hampshire, and the quietest ones are the Barred Rocks and Buff Orphington.

This is my first time with chickens too, and I can tell you what you read gives you a general idea, but individual personalities vary greatly.

I have a 2 year old and he loves the nice chickens- especially chasing them with a food or water dish. He's also really good about telling me when they've pooped on the patio by saying "EWWWW" and pointing.

Good luck!
Teddi

Last edited:
thats Australorp
Ameruacanas and barred rocks are the birds to get
then your kids can have the colored eggs and great friendly chickens

I have dominquies and New Jersey Giants, they are both very docile. Get chicks or hatch them out yourself. I am still fairly new here, but I learned that even though I wanted eggs right then, I would have rather raised them from chicks so that they would come to me instead of running from me. My chickens are rather we behaved, the chicks run to me and the big ones run away, Maybe because I took them from their family and brought them to a new place. Someone on her has a dominique roo that will roll over and let them rub his belly.

Good luck,
BAMA

Get some sumatras! Just look around for some, mine are currently 5 day old embryos and I can't wait till they hatch. But from your list I think you should get some orpingtons, americaunas, and RIRs.

I have children & grand children!!! & visiting kids that play with my chickens!!!

My experience from breeds on your list:

love.gif
Buff Orpington (sweet, gentle & good layers)
kids think they are teddy bears & can carry them all over

Americanas/EE mine do not like to be held or played with (they belong to my 13 & 14 yogs or they would be gone) I had a dozen last summer I sold them!

love.gif
Austrolorp I had 1 that didn't like to be pick-up but, she was still sweet! a friend had 20 all very sweet & they are very economical eaters. I just got 3 more from feed store

love.gif
RIR also very sweet, curious, they put up with a lot! another economical eater (I think Roos can go either way no experience with roo)

I have one each Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, and Black Sex Link.

They went through stages, where they were evil, then sweet, then evil again. They are just over 5 months now, and are all sweet and friendly.

Of the three, Numi the Black Star is the noisiest, but none of them are really noisy.

I will probably get Buff Orpingtons again, definately Barred Rocks, and if I can only have 3 at a time, maybe a Brahma. I've heard they are great.

From my very limited experience, Ameriacunas are noisy and demanding and not very friendly.

Back
Top Bottom