Help me convince DH to keep a roo

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Last year was very rough on us. We decided to roll the dice and buy straight runs. Bought 12 expecting half would be roos...11 were roos. We had to pick only one and we chose poorly. He ended up being a huge jerk that pver bred our flock and attacked us on a daily basis. We decided to do a hatch and if there were any roos to replace him. On completion of the hatch we ended up with 3 hens and 2 roos. Now aggressive roo is gone and we are down to one roo but DH doesnt want to keep him. Im ADDICTED to hatching now and I want him but DH is worried about the girls regrowing their feathers since he has already started mounting. Help me convince him to keep this roo

Roosters that remove feathers from their hens are usually overzealous, have bad technique, or just adolescent jerks.
I hate the look of a half plucked flock.
Sorry I'm will take your husband's side and vote he goes.
You can still incubate and raise chicks. Just get fertile eggs from someone else.

Roosters that remove feathers from their hens are usually overzealous, have bad technique, or just adolescent jerks.
I hate the look of a half plucked flock.
Sorry I'm will take your husband's side and vote he goes.
You can still incubate and raise chicks. Just get fertile eggs from someone else.
The roo that did that was overzealous, a jerk who had very poor technique. Hes dead. The new roo isnt removing feathers. They just havent grown back in yet. I just think hes being premature in his thinking

How old is he?

Feather won't grow back until a molt.

Maybe set up a separate coop and run for the male you want to keep.
We have a seperate coop and I suggested that. He's still a "teenager". He was hatched in April. His brother is resting in my fridge right now. He was already really aggressive. After dealing with their father I said we are not keeping a roo if he's too mean. His father made it impossible for me to get chores done. I had to walk around the yard with a pitchfork or I'd be attacked

These are offspring from the aggressive dad rooster? The one that held you cative where you had to sneak around your own house and yard?
The genetics are the same, and will likely have the same output and result
I have 5 extra gentlemanly roosters I am trying to find homes for right now. Likely I will be unsuccessful and end up culling them
Roosters are easy to replace
Dont keep a bad one and let him reproduce more like him.
There is a nice rooster out there for you.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom