Help me id this cockerel!

Rosechuk

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Wellsboro, PA
I ordered a batch of assorted heavies cockerels to raise as meat birds. Can you id this breed for me? Sorry for the blurry photo, he was fast! He is a cool looking bird though.

Thanks,

Your Welcome. He looks like the exact age of my buff brahma pullet. I wonder, are you sure it's a roo? I had one that came with my girl and his feathering took FOREVER to fill in. He just looked strange and bald next to her. He died, so I never saw him fully grown, but yours looks like my girl, maybe a week or two older. I have a light brahma pullet that is about that age and she has the reddening face.

Well, I ordered cockerels, but I cannot tell one way or the other yet so I am assuming he is a he. I am considering keeping one of the cockerels that came in my batch since my beloved bantam cochin roo died last year. So far the contenders for keeping would be a barred rock, this brahma, a rhode island red or a buff cochin. Any thoughts? I do want a cock that is kid-friendly...

As much as I hate to say it, I would not keep the RIR. Mine is now 4 months old, and I love him dearly, but he's already getting feisty. Can't imagine what he'll be like a year from now. I've heard bad things about them, I'm starting to see why. As for the rest, someone else will have to chime in...

I would chose between the brahma and the cochin...and it will be a very hard choice!!! MIne have all been sweethearts..my 8 yr old can carry them all aroung. Patty cochin, my profile pic, is his favorite :)

Agree - if you want a more "gentle" rooster, I'd pick a Brahma or Cochin. My RIR was fairly friendly as a chick, but by ~16 weeks, he was starting to get a wild streak. Although there can always be an exception to the rule, I would encourage the Brahma or Cochin. Good luck.

Another vote for the brahma or the cochin. They're just nicer guys, although remember any rooster can fly at a kid when they're back is turned.

Back
Top Bottom