Help me keep my hands out of the bator...

Quote:
I have the hava bator so full bottom full with water. I have been putting extra cloth saturated on wire to get the humidity up and keep it there. But this time. Today I had to saturate that rag 3 times. In 11 years, I don't remember the air being so dry.

I actually had to buy moisturizing hand cream and chapstick. Just outside of Houston. No wonder, we have been having trouble with crude in the water.

edited to correct some spelling so I could read it. Probably need to put the wine aside, naa.

Last edited:
Both mine are hovabators, but I forget about them most of the time
hide.gif
Usually my 'water' in the hatching one is just a wet washcloth, the wire on the bottom of that one likes to curl up so the washcloth helps weigh it down
wink.png

It does have water in it right now, but I've got some teeny tiny seramas hatching...wanted to be sure they'd make it
smile.png
I think the humidity in that one is running around 60% and that's with the whole bottom of the bator full of water
hmm.png

Ya, thats about what mine runs, about 65 but for some reason these birds lately are really sucking up the moisture.

My bator after lock down went down into the mid 50's at night and wouldn't you know the 1st one was pippin. In a circle cause it couldn't get anywhere, I guess or because it was bolistic. It was a gold after all.

It is weird though that this last one went down to the bottom of the egg instead of out. It was unzipped.

So what do ya think, now that I have all these Whites. I think I have the Dots and the Panda marked. Should I save a few hens for Vanilla or keep him with ?

I know the M gold from his hatch is a female, the Range - its Tibetan-chocolate - might be a female. Ok, so I caught her, she wash making a circle and wouldn't let anyone in it. I think that sounds like feminine behavior to me.

edited to think this out some more, cause I am not going to leave that little girl all by herself. Soon as she can walk about better into bed we both go. She to the brooder, me to bed.

Ok, Vanilla + M Gold = Light faced Manchurian Golds/(split for) white probably- no
Vanilla + Another = More Vanillas - no
Vanilla + Tibetan = f1-Tuxedo or 50% tux and 50% rosetta tux , tux not my favorite, I know, I'm strange, but.
Vanilla + my J Brown = - J Brown split/white or probably 25-50% JB/white and 25-50% White/Panda mark and/or 50%MG/White
Vanilla + Tuxedo = f2- s/b 50% Vanillas, 25-50% Ranges and/or 25% (diluted/panda'd Tux type, could be interesting if possible, depending on what is in Vanilla besides the panda type color, could try. Or
Vanilla + Tibetan = f1 Tux +New Panda White to maybe get above. Then these Tibetans will carry the new Whites that carry extended brown,ohh, recessive gold? That's going to muddy it more - Vanilla probably carries it already so
Vanilla + f2 Tibetan= f3would =f 2 above adding in M Gold, maybe - could go both ways.

Last edited:
You do know that too-high humidity can make them get stuck in the shell too, right? I usually have my hatcher around 35-45% humidity and very rarely have stuck chicks. I hardly ever check the hygrometers actually, the incubating incubator never gets water and the hatching incubator gets a little bit in the center water well. If Im hatching coturnix or buttons I'll put a wet washcloth in there instead of water in the bottom.

Smaller hatches more often would work better. I need to just not use all the trays, not sure that will work though. Throw the motor off balance? Have to ask DH. No, I don't think it will work out with the eggs either, well, we'll see. Thinking with fingers on the keyboard. Now you know how my mind sometimes works. 4/5 thoughts in different directions all at once. Can you tell, I have done a lot of logistics in the past, I did and burned my brain out too I think.

ANY AMOUNT OF EGGS SHOULD BE FINE IN YOUR TURNER AND NOT EFFECT ITS FUNCTION

AS FOR THE THE SCATTERED THOUGHTS- THEY MAKE MEDS FOR THAT
smile.png

OH AND THE EGG SIZE === UNM YEAH, THEY JUST GET BIGGER AS THE HENS AGE...

These be Texas A&M's and more than a few were from eating eggs. Later we can discuss the throw back to the English that are still Texas A&M's. Let me load some pics. I think I have all that I am going to get. Put Stinky in the brooder this morning. She's doing fine.

Edited to add pics, then I am off to eat something.
17739_104_0264.jpg

17739_104_0263.jpg

17739_104_0262.jpg

See Stinky close to the edge, still drying off, didn't take long though. Now she is all fluffed out cause they have been rubbing all over her. She is going to be a good size breeder. If she can keep her head up instead of down. Going to try to test out this theory of head size with this batch.
Interesting observation though this morning. They piled after I put the light back. Wanted to take a pic but 61 babies make a big mess in less than 24 hours. So changed them to a new tub. Everyone was all over the bator, eating and drinking - being normal. Took my pics.
Put the lid back on and moved the light back down and they headed straight to it. Piled in the center. Got hot then moved out to take their little nappies. I think we run them to hot. The room temp - Change out/Pic temp was 83. I got to eat something.

Last edited:
Quote:
HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS EVER.

WILL SEE THEM TEARING AROUND IN THE HATCHER 8 HRS AFTER THEY HATCH AND STILL WET, BUT NEVER SEEN THEM STUCK IN THE SHELL FROM HIGH HUMIDITY, HAVE SEEN THEM DROWN ENUTERO WITH HIGH HUMIDITY

Quote:
The Texas A&M strain is dead or never even existed. Depending on how you look at it. White coturnix come in 2 sizes, regular or jumbo. They do not come in any designer A&M package.

Why is this so hard for logical coturnix breeders to get a grip on?

Sorry...I know a guy that has the real deal....I'll shut up now.

Back
Top Bottom