Help me narrow it down!

Pics

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Want to add more chickens in the spring as my current hens are 3 years old and we’d like a few more eggs but my problem is I have a million breeds I want to try... Made up a mock cart just for kicks, but I need help narrowing it down. Can’t get them all. This isn’t even all the breeds I want either! Also considered some other breeds like Brahmas, Cochins, and Leghorns. But anyway, this is obviously 10 chickens and while I could make another coop and run easily and was considering doing just that/keeping a separate flock so I could try all the breeds I want to try and not have to limit it (we have 2.48 acres), I think it would be easier to just add a few birds to my current flock and coop. Quarantined first of course. So anyway, in order to do that, I need to limit it to about 3 to 4, which is really hard because all of these breeds sound great and I want to try all of them. Looking for decent egg layers and not total free loaders BUT my 3 year olds are starting to slow down a little bit and I am keeping those so also important to me is their personality. Both with me and other hens. Friendly hens would be nice but they don’t have to be super cuddly or anything, though I wouldn’t mind if they were. And not too mean to other hens, although maybe younger hens wouldn’t bully older hens? And looks are important too hence all the fancier looking breeds. My current flock is mostly black and orange birds and while I love them, it is a little bit boring and plain looking lol I currently have 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers.

3B091A40-C5C3-4E38-A66E-7F3982E19435.png

Love Leghorn’s and they’re awsome layers.
Couldn’t give me another SLW eggs are so so. They eat like piggies and are Loud complaining all the time. Mean and constantly challenging others. Pretty yes but not a social bird. Not very bright even by chicken standards. Omg I sound like a hater! lol

Are you limiting your breed choices from that hatchery specifically? And when you say limit it to 3 or 4 do you mean 3-4 chickens or 3-4 breeds?

I’d be open to other hatcheries or even buying locally, I just chose that one to make the fake cart in because that is where my current chickens came from and because they only have a minimum of 3. And I am meaning 3-4 chickens but I would like to, if possible, also get all separate breeds.

My Speckled Sussex, going on 3 yrs is one of my best layers.....she laid just as well as my br. leghorns this past year, and they're a year younger. She's a friendly hen, my leghorns are not.

Wow she sounds amazing!!!

And that is really disappointing about the Wyandottes as they are really pretty. :( most things I’ve read seem to be about 50/50 on the breed, people either love them or they hate them, there doesn’t really seem to be much middle ground. And all the negatives you guys are mentioning are pretty big ones. Definitely don’t want another hen that eats a lot but doesn’t lay a lot, my Australorps are already like that ha

Back
Top Bottom