Help me narrow it down!

Pics
Haha I bet! It'll be a nice change I'm sure! And yay, looking forward to it! :D

Thank you! Oh I feel you on the egg issue. My girls are 4 years old now and we don't get nearly as many eggs as what we used to. My Black Sexlinks are the only ones that have really kept up with egg production thus far, while my Speckled Sussex hens have slowed down quite a bit with it. Though they're pets, so I don't mind that much lol the eggs are just a bonus :rolleyes: I can say my Speckled Sussex are much friendlier than the Black Sexlinks. Some will run over to me wanting to be picked up and carried around. One of them, Ruby (who is the lowest on the pecking order), even attacked my gander who was attempting to attack me one day last summer lol. So they're certainly interesting!

It definitely will be!! Plus I am going to start letting them free range a bit more so I think they will all be happier and I get to see the pretty birds all over my yard :D I still don’t feel comfortable letting them free range all day though but maybe like a few hours at a time. But I love watching all of them hang out together too and their different personalities so I’m excited to see the new birds personalities and how the flock dynamics change. Although I must admit, I think I am a little bit soft hearted because I feel bad for uprooting their lives and adding new babies :lau

And yeah, we don’t get as many eggs either and it seems to take them longer to get back to laying. They used to lay through winter and/or start up immediately after their molt and now they seem like they take forever to start laying again and then only lay a few months during prime season spring and summer lol my one hen stopped laying in August when she went into molt :rolleyes: she is an EE. But my other EE is the only one consistently laying right now lol the others did for a few days recently and I had like 4 layers but now for some reason they stopped again. My EE is still cranking out eggs though and lays through winter usually lol

And wow! Your Sussex sound amazing!! I can’t wait to get mine then! :D

It definitely will be!! Plus I am going to start letting them free range a bit more so I think they will all be happier and I get to see the pretty birds all over my yard :D I still don’t feel comfortable letting them free range all day though but maybe like a few hours at a time. But I love watching all of them hang out together too and their different personalities so I’m excited to see the new birds personalities and how the flock dynamics change. Although I must admit, I think I am a little bit soft hearted because I feel bad for uprooting their lives and adding new babies :lau

And yeah, we don’t get as many eggs either and it seems to take them longer to get back to laying. They used to lay through winter and/or start up immediately after their molt and now they seem like they take forever to start laying again and then only lay a few months during prime season spring and summer lol my one hen stopped laying in August when she went into molt :rolleyes: she is an EE. But my other EE is the only one consistently laying right now lol the others did for a few days recently and I had like 4 layers but now for some reason they stopped again. My EE is still cranking out eggs though and lays through winter usually lol

And wow! Your Sussex sound amazing!! I can’t wait to get mine then! :D

I bet they'll like that! Yeah, I can understand being uncomfortable with the idea of them being out. I used to free range my flock on our farm, until a fox took 2 of my hens in a day. So I opted for a 1 acre fenced off area for my girls instead lol. Though I must say, I don't miss the chicken holes all through our yard :gigSo long as you're able to keep an eye on yours, I'm sure they'll be just fine free ranging a bit :) Hah I get what you mean! But hey, they'll just have to get over it :D I'm not sure how mine will react to this either! My geese as well; I can see it now.."who are these intruders!?" and then the goose screaming ensues lol.

That's pretty much how mine have been, minus the sexlinks! At least your EE is still cranking out some eggs for you lol. Our black sexlink, Precious, is still laying often too. Slacker chickens! haha. They're just lucky they're stinking cute :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll enjoy them! :D

Back
Top Bottom