Help me narrow it down!

You mentioned egg size, that you want large. My Speckled Sussex, that I had said earlier lays as many eggs as my brown leghorns, does lay smaller eggs. Here's a pic, the leghorn egg on the left, followed by the Speckled Sussex. The next is a bantam egg, and the last is a new pullet egg from a Spitzhauben, who are also really great layers, and my new favorites, but that's going off track here. Just look at the first 2. ( :
View attachment 1654726

Thanks!! That doesn’t look too small, about the size of some of my current hens, and as long as they lay well, I don’t mind! I think of rate of lay is probably more important, at least to me, and you said they lay really well, right? So that’s fine by me! Especially with their personality, looks, and foraging ability. But I do appreciate the info and warning so I can know what to expect! But I think he will be fine with them as long as they earn their keep :p plus we are also adding a leghorn so I am sure we will get plenty of huge eggs :)

IT’S OFFICIAL!! I’M GETTING MORE CHICKENS!! :D :celebrate:wee:clap:ya:woot:yesss:

9C2AC33A-3B15-4DEF-8945-7D7B5547E28A.jpeg

We have a speckled Sussex and have found her to be a mediocre layer. I think aside from Leghorns and sex links the laying abilities of various breeds are going to be variable from hatchery to hatchery, and by individual genetics. Try some out and see how they do.

I see you've ordered some new breeds. Good luck with them!

We have a speckled Sussex and have found her to be a mediocre layer. I think aside from Leghorns and sex links the laying abilities of various breeds are going to be variable from hatchery to hatchery, and by individual genetics. Try some out and see how they do.

I see you've ordered some new breeds. Good luck with them!

That’s disappointing! Wish I’d seen this beforehand, though I probably would have tried them anyway just to see. Hopefully mine will be better :fl if not, oh well I guess. I think they are really pretty and I have them mostly as pets and the eggs are bonus so if she’s not a super layer, that’s alright. They do forage pretty well though, right? I also like their built in camouflage because they blend in really well with the forest.

Thank you!! I’m hoping they do well for me :fl

Great Choices! You'll have a colorful flock ... and a very pretty egg basket!

Thank you!! I’m excited to add some pretty colors to my flock and egg basket! Lol although I let my current flock out to free range this afternoon and I watched them for a bit and the more I look at them, the more I think my current ones are pretty too :love I always thought they were kinda boring but they are pretty in their own way. Especially since my Buff Orpingtons seem to have gotten darker with every molt, they used to be way lighter, and now they are more of a darker, golden orange, and I think have gotten prettier. But anyway, I think the new ones will go well with the current flock. We have 2 Black Australorps so I was just thinking we need a couple white birds to balance it out lol and we also have a Barred Rock, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers (one of which is orangey red like the BOs but darker and black laced and the other is white and black laced, though is turning more brownish red), so I think these colors will go well and maybe add some flash! Hopefully anyway. Lol I’m excited!! I’m also excited for white eggs and more colored eggs :D

Great choice of chickens! That'll be a pretty flock :)

Makes me wanna buy some chicks! :love I'm making my list now...lol

Thank you!! I think so too! They will be joining my current flock of 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers, so it will be somewhat of a rainbow flock. :D

And doooo ittttt Lol what breeds are you thinking of!?

Last edited:
Thank you!! I think so too! They will be joking my current flock of 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers, so it will be somewhat of a rainbow flock. :D

And doooo ittttt Lol what breeds are you thinking of!?

Awww lol you'll have quite the rainbow flock indeed! :) You'll have to post some pics of the new babies when they arrive!

Well my list currently consists of an Easter Egger, a Blue Ameraucana, a Buff Laced Polish, a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, a Barnevelder, and a Silver Laced Cochin (one of each, all female). I would love one of every breed lol but I'd need a very large coop for that :pRight now I just have 5 Speckled Sussex and 3 Black Sexlink hens. Though I love them all very much, I want some more variety in my flock! :D

Awww lol you'll have quite the rainbow flock indeed! :) You'll have to post some pics of the new babies when they arrive!

Well my list currently consists of an Easter Egger, a Blue Ameraucana, a Buff Laced Polish, a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, a Barnevelder, and a Silver Laced Cochin (one of each, all female). I would love one of every breed lol but I'd need a very large coop for that :pRight now I just have 5 Speckled Sussex and 3 Black Sexlink hens. Though I love them all very much, I want some more variety in my flock! :D

I’m excited!! I’ve wanted some of these breeds for a long time and I’m very excited to have both a rainbow flock and a rainbow egg basket. :D And I definitely will! There will for sure be plenty of pics lol

And that’s a nice list!! I hear you on wanting one of every breed lol I am the same way :lau and I too want more variety in my flock hence the colorful choices. Plus we needed more eggs as our current birds are 3 years old. I love mine too but all the solid colors were a little boring lol so hopefully this will spice things up. How do you like your Speckled Sussex?

I’m excited!! I’ve wanted some of these breeds for a long time and I’m very excited to have both a rainbow flock and a rainbow egg basket. :D And I definitely will! There will for sure be plenty of pics lol

And that’s a nice list!! I hear you on wanting one of every breed lol I am the same way :lau and I too want more variety in my flock hence the colorful choices. Plus we needed more eggs as our current birds are 3 years old. I love mine too but all the solid colors were a little boring lol so hopefully this will spice things up. How do you like your Speckled Sussex?

Haha I bet! It'll be a nice change I'm sure! And yay, looking forward to it! :D

Thank you! Oh I feel you on the egg issue. My girls are 4 years old now and we don't get nearly as many eggs as what we used to. My Black Sexlinks are the only ones that have really kept up with egg production thus far, while my Speckled Sussex hens have slowed down quite a bit with it. Though they're pets, so I don't mind that much lol the eggs are just a bonus :rolleyes: I can say my Speckled Sussex are much friendlier than the Black Sexlinks. Some will run over to me wanting to be picked up and carried around. One of them, Ruby (who is the lowest on the pecking order), even attacked my gander who was attempting to attack me one day last summer lol. So they're certainly interesting!

Back
Top Bottom