Help me narrow it down!

Okay managed to somewhat narrow it down a little bit, I am definitely getting a Speckled Sussex and Partridge Rock because I want to try the Sussex from all the positives I have read and I really like my Barred Rock and want to try a different color. But unsure if I want Delaware, another Easter Egger, Welsummer, or Leghorns. We do like the colored eggs and being able to tell who is laying. Thinking maybe 5? EE, Leghorn, Delaware or Welsummer, and then Partridge Rock and Specked Sussex. But still not 100% sure. I want looks and personality and of course eggs, dad mainly cares about large eggs and lots of them and once I suggested it, predator awareness/foraging ability if we let them free range. Do Delawares produce well?
I have one Delaware, and she is by far my favorite hen. She lays well, she's very friendly and snuggly, and isn't bossy or mean.

Just thought about it my legbar is a fantastic layer and very big eggs not to mention good looking not really sure about how they do in cold weather. She does fine in the 20’s

Wow that’s a gorgeous chicken! And they sound like a great bird!

Here's a pic of my flock (not the best since you can only see one girl's butt!). But I think my Delaware always stands out in photos.

View attachment 1654624

She sure is a pretty girl!!

EE are very sweet and docile. Good birds for lap cuddles and passive with flock mates.
I think they are a beautiful bird. I’d have them. Nice bird. I like your choices!

Yeah I think I am definitely going to add another EE! I love mine! And thank you!!

I have one Delaware, and she is by far my favorite hen. She lays well, she's very friendly and snuggly, and isn't bossy or mean.

Sounds like I definitely need to add one then!! Yours sounds awesome!!

Wow that’s a gorgeous chicken! And they sound like a great bird!

She sure is a pretty girl!!

Yeah I think I am definitely going to add another EE! I love mine! And thank you!!

Sounds like I definitely need to add one then!! Yours sounds awesome!!
You won't be disappointed! Isn't it fun picking out Birds? I have 40 right now, + 17 that I will be picking up on February 13th. With the new babies, I will be up to 25 different breeds! They bring me so much joy!

You won't be disappointed! Isn't it fun picking out Birds? I have 40 right now, + 17 that I will be picking up on February 13th. With the new babies, I will be up to 25 different breeds! They bring me so much joy!

I can’t wait to have one of my own! And yes it really is so fun!! I love it!! Especially since I have been wanting to add more for a while but have been unable to until now. I can’t wait! Lol and wow you have a lot of chickens!! I wish I could get to that many!! One day! Slowly getting there! :lau I have 7 right now, used to have 8, and adding 5 more soon hopefully (and might secretly add the free chick option. Shhhh :lau :oops: ), so I will have 12, maybe 13.

I can’t wait to have one of my own! And yes it really is so fun!! I love it!! Especially since I have been wanting to add more for a while but have been unable to until now. I can’t wait! Lol and wow you have a lot of chickens!! I wish I could get to that many!! One day! Slowly getting there! :lau I have 7 right now, used to have 8, and adding 5 more soon hopefully (and might secretly add the free chick option. Shhhh :lau :oops: ), so I will have 12, maybe 13.
I won't tell!:D chicken math is a real thing! There are just so many to choose from!

I won't tell!:D chicken math is a real thing! There are just so many to choose from!

Thank you! :D it will just be, whoops, don’t know how that extra chick got in there. :lau and it sure is!! Lol I have been able to keep it in check so far but you are right, there are just sooo many breeds to choose from! And now I am getting duck fever too lol

You mentioned egg size, that you want large. My Speckled Sussex, that I had said earlier lays as many eggs as my brown leghorns, does lay smaller eggs. Here's a pic, the leghorn egg on the left, followed by the Speckled Sussex. The next is a bantam egg, and the last is a new pullet egg from a Spitzhauben, who are also really great layers, and my new favorites, but that's going off track here. Just look at the first 2. ( :
4 eggs (3 of 1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom