Help me out!

Stevens

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
Here's the story:

Yesterday afternoon I went by the local feedstore to get some wire so I could build my chicken tractor today. Still have some weeks before my birds are ready, but why wait until the last minute. Anyhow--- Outside the back door at the feedstore they had a large cage stuffed full of biddies. I'd say they were about 4 weeks of age, breed I'm thinking barred rock. Sign said straight run--$2 each. $2 each for a feathered out biddie, that's a steal of a deal.

Now this is where you guys come in. Either ya'll have got to talk me out of buying a couple 3-4 of those things. Or, ya'll have to help me out in IDing the pullets. They were probably 50 birds in the cage and like anytime I have ever seen birds caged like that, they were moving constantly, impossible to focus attention on one bird. It's been 20 years since I kept birds so I am way rusty and I need a little help. These birds were feathered out pretty good, some had nice bright yellow/orange combs.

I figure I could get 3 or 4 of those birds put them in the brooder with my birds of nearly the same age, and the wife would be none the wiser. When I got my birds a few weeks ago she made me promise that we would stay on a small scale, 10 birds. Well, I got be conservative estimates 4 roosters. Three of those guys are going to the happy freezer in the sky, so I figure I could get 3 or 4 pullets to replace'em. That makes sense don't it? I'd still only have 10, right?

Listen to me would you. I got it bad. You'd swear I was plotting to go out and chase wild women.

So can anybody help a brother out?

I think BR's are hard to sex when they are young like that. You may have to wait and see who crows. Saying that, how could you resist biddies for only $2. Buy them all. Sell the roos later.
thumbsup.gif

If you are shooting for pullets, avoid bright yellow/orange combs.

AND, you can always sell pullets.

The good news is that whoever has the least number of roosters WINS
lol.png

Stevens is now twentynine!!!!!!

I gave'em a good looking over. My guess is some one done beat me to the pullets. They sure all look like roos.

Passed'em by, didn't buy any.

On my BR the girls are black with white and the boys are white with black. More black - she, more white - he.

30078_media1.jpeg

Senior Cocky, my BR roo, you can see his sister hen next to him.

Back
Top Bottom