Help me please! Is my Rooster dying?

JadeFarms

🙄🤚 Loving life 💜
May 3, 2019
Florida
I have a golden comet rooster that has not been acting right. He is falling over, super slow, has fowl pox, and is very pale. He has had hens color for his whole life, and this is the second case of fowl pow.
image.jpg

He looks like he is molting, and that also can take a toll on any chicken. I would treat his lice with permethrin 10 spray or dust, onece and again in 10 days, or use some pour on ivermectin 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight. Repeat ivermectin in 14 days. Clean out coop and spray the coop, nests, and roosts, and add new bedding.

Offer some poultry NutriDrench 2-3 ml daily, or give some electrolytes in his water. Offer food up to his beak often including some scrambled chopped egg, tuna, and a little wet feed along with the dry feed.

I have a golden comet rooster that has not been acting right. He is falling over, super slow, has fowl pox, and is very pale. He has had hens color for his whole life, and this is the second case of fowl pow.
View attachment 1886101

He does have lice.
He eats fine and he used to be in a super dark pen for a few weeks and was just let out free range, it wasn’t the largest cage in the world, but it was big. Do you think it was a lack of sun?

I see don't Fowl Pox, can you point that out in the photos? Do you mean he has sores or lesions inside the beak? Photos of that?

May I ask why he was separated and in a super dark pen?

To me he does looks like he may be molting too - feather loss, no tail feathers unless they are obstructed somehow in the photo.

I agree, I would treat him for the lice asap. Get some extra protein and vitamins into him.

I'm so sorry!
Just so we can help better, is this fowl pox wet or dry? As in, is it mainly dry lesions on his skin, or is it a respiratory/mouth issue? Usually fowl pox alone isn't enough to kill a bird, unless the respiratory component gets too bad, but I can imagine that it lowers the immune system's ability quite a bit... it could be that a secondary infection or disease has set in while he's already feeling sick.
How is his stool consistency, breathing, and food intake?
Epiphany

He has had no tail his whole life, and there is part of the cage that does have light, but not a large amount. I just found out he has a respiratory problem, he can barely eat, and he has snot coming out of his nose.
Can you take him to a vet?

Why the separation to begin with?
Look inside his beak - any mucous, canker, sores or lesions inside the beak?

Mucous coming from the nostrils, it could be respiratory disease - without testing, it's hard to know which one. You can try an antibiotic like Tylan50 to see if that helps. Most respiratory diseases make birds carriers for life.

Did you treat for the lice/mites?

This poor guy sounds very weak. Honestly, it sounds to me like serious intervention will be required for him to make it. What did you use to treat the lice? Is his crop empty since he’s not eating? Do you have nutridrench? If so, I’d give him a few drops straight to the beak. Fluids will be important. Can you prop him up with towels so he is upright?

No more lice, Giving him vitamins, and he is much worse, I know he’s not gonna make it, This is one of the hardest Things to watch. I’ve had chickens die, but never of a sickness like this, he is suffering I guess rest in peace Picasso.
View attachment 1890236
I'm so sorry.

If he's in pain and suffering, it would be a kindness to go ahead an put him out of his misery. I know sometimes that a hard thing to think about.

To find out what has happened, sending the body to your state lab for further examination would be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom