Help me please! Is my Rooster dying?

JadeFarms

🙄🤚 Loving life 💜
May 3, 2019
Florida
I have a golden comet rooster that has not been acting right. He is falling over, super slow, has fowl pox, and is very pale. He has had hens color for his whole life, and this is the second case of fowl pow.
image.jpg

I'm so sorry!
Just so we can help better, is this fowl pox wet or dry? As in, is it mainly dry lesions on his skin, or is it a respiratory/mouth issue? Usually fowl pox alone isn't enough to kill a bird, unless the respiratory component gets too bad, but I can imagine that it lowers the immune system's ability quite a bit... it could be that a secondary infection or disease has set in while he's already feeling sick.
How is his stool consistency, breathing, and food intake?
Epiphany

He looks like he is molting, and that also can take a toll on any chicken. I would treat his lice with permethrin 10 spray or dust, onece and again in 10 days, or use some pour on ivermectin 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight. Repeat ivermectin in 14 days. Clean out coop and spray the coop, nests, and roosts, and add new bedding.

Offer some poultry NutriDrench 2-3 ml daily, or give some electrolytes in his water. Offer food up to his beak often including some scrambled chopped egg, tuna, and a little wet feed along with the dry feed.

He eats fine and he used to be in a super dark pen for a few weeks and was just let out free range, it wasn’t the largest cage in the world, but it was big. Do you think it was a lack of sun?

He eats fine and he used to be in a super dark pen for a few weeks and was just let out free range, it wasn’t the largest cage in the world, but it was big. Do you think it was a lack of sun?
My rooster is currently molting too, but he's out taking dust baths and watching over his girls just a little lazier as molting takes just as much outta your roosters as it does the hens., they do go through cycles, but I would definitely follow eggcessive's advice

Might be stressed from being put back out in it. He's going to follow the hens, so if they were used to the heat, he might be all worked up from being out with the ladies again, if that was the case? Maybe let him out half the day for a bit, days are getting cooler now, shouldn't take long.

He looks like he is molting, and that also can take a toll on any chicken. I would treat his lice with permethrin 10 spray or dust, onece and again in 10 days, or use some pour on ivermectin 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight. Repeat ivermectin in 14 days. Clean out coop and spray the coop, nests, and roosts, and add new bedding.

Offer some poultry NutriDrench 2-3 ml daily, or give some electrolytes in his water. Offer food up to his beak often including some scrambled chopped egg, tuna, and a little wet feed along with the dry feed.
Just wondering, why do you think he’s molting?

Back
Top Bottom