Help me please! My poor duck!!!!

Pics

GldnValleyHens

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 21, 2017
Galena, Illinois
IMG_2555.JPG
I don't know what to do. I went outside to let everybody out this morning and since the ducks spent the night in the chicken coop I let them out too, and saw what had happened to Jemima. I think the drakes did this to her, or perhaps the chickens but what do I do??? She's in the garage right now, and acting normal besides her eye which seems to be missing an eyelid, or completely gone!!!!

Can you use some saline to clean her up, then use an antibiotic ointment one the skin around the eye? Coconut oil would be good if you cannot get an antibiotic ointment. Separate her, and try to determine if they need more room, or if the drakes need to be separated. Sorry she was injured.

Do you have contact solution you could use instead saline?
No contact solution, but thank you Cayuga momma. I am worried for the future, if this eye will become infected and has to come out? Has anyone had this happen before? What did they do? I will treat her with the saline solution and ointments Eggcessive suggested, but I think she is missing her eyelid. The eye is bubbling, I think it has been damaged beyond repair. @shawluvsbirds, @WVduckchick, @CayugaJana, has this happened to you? Will the eye heal over or need to be taken out? I am sure she will be half blind forever

Oh my that is sad :(
I have not had one looks that bad. . I do have one that I assume my drake injured holding her head on the ground but it was nothing like that. .just a bit scabby and irritated. I used antibiotic ointment for a few days, removed my drake, and it cleared up. If a vet is at all possible that would be best.. If not I would isolate her to keep it clean and put antibiotic ointment on it.
Someone else may have a better solution though. . that is just my thought.

Hello, eye injury is extremely painful..A Vet is needed..Sorry that happened to her.
Possibly need to rethink housing and how many Drakes you have?..
2 drakes and 2 hens. I am in the process of getting more ducks, and I have separated the drakes but slacked off in the past week, which I regret. They have their own spacious duck house but sometimes choose to sleep with the chickens. After closer inspection, It appears the top eyelid has been torn away, and her eye is peeping out from underneath it. The eyelid is still there, but not attached. It is a bloody mess.

Back
Top Bottom