Help me select a breed

I mean, my current stock comes from farma pateras. Maybe a different line will yield different results. It's still just a landrace in its beginning stages. But yes, mine have never gone broody. One Τσουλουφάτη mix hen I had for a little while did brood

Thank you for your answers.
If you have more breeds on your mind i would like to hear them.
For example what do you think of australorps?
Australorps are great for that, they do not like to stray from home. I have a bunch of Australorps and they are amazing. The sweetest little things, I would suggest getting a roo as well if you are able to. The roos are vary sweet to.

Hello everyone, i wanted to ask a question.
Which egg laying breed would thrive in a free range farm (fenced half acre/two dogs) with supplementary food?
Must forage, be both heat and cold tolerant, brood and be good mothers.
Thank you in advance for your answers.
A hen who is laying eggs is not being broody.
A hen who is broody is not laying eggs.
So at any given time, a hen can be doing one or the other, but not both.

You may want to consider having two kinds of chickens: one that lays lots of eggs, and the other that goes broody.

A broody hen does not care which eggs she hatches. They can be eggs she laid before she went broody, or they can be eggs that you give her to hatch. So when a hen goes broody, decide which kind of chickens you want more of, and put that kind of eggs under the broody hen.

You can keep hens and roosters of two kinds (separate pastures), or you can keep hens of two kinds but a rooster of just one kind. That way you get pure chicks of one kind, and the other hens produce mixed chicks. If the two kinds of hens lay different colors of eggs, it is easy to tell who laid which egg (The three main color options are white eggs, brown eggs, and blue or green eggs. Distinguishing light brown from dark brown or blue from green is sometimes possible but usually not as easy.)

Thank you for your answer.
Are australorps heat and cold tolerant?
Do they go broody once in a while?
Are their egg production numbers true?
Are they good foragers?

Back
Top Bottom