Help me select a breed

Thank you for your answer as well.
Something i read, researching for rir.

Heritage Rhode island reds were broody at some point, but this has since been bred out of them, just like their meat genes.

What do you think of the rir roosters are they aggressive?

Thank you for your answer as well.
Something i read, researching for rir.

Heritage Rhode island reds were broody at some point, but this has since been bred out of them, just like their meat genes.

What do you think of the rir roosters are they aggressive?
If they had the original traits bred out then they're not heritage reds. Production reds had broodiness bred out and egg production increased but even they go broody from time to time. I've had a production red here raise two batches of chicks so far

In my experience heritage red roosters aren't aggressive but production reds may be. I think this depends more importantly on if they're human imprinted or not

Human imprinted roosters are commonly aggressive. Hen raised roosters are usually gentleman

I am from Greece.

OK. First off :frow:welcome fellow Greek. Now about chickens. What I'm hearing is that you're basically looking for a chicken that lays a lot of eggs, goes broody and can free range. Not necessarily a chicken breed. Thus, I would suggest you look around your area. You've probably come across the term "ντόπια". Many will use this term freely in order to give to you their culls. Be aware of that, and ask around. What works for your neighbour will likely work for you

Thank you for your answer as well πατριώτη.
I was considering the greek vlach chicken but don't know if the numbers of eggs they are talking about are true.

Thank you for your answer as well πατριώτη.
I was considering the greek vlach chicken but don't know if the numbers of eggs they are talking about are true.

Farma pateras? The βλάχικη-Ελληνική-Τσουλουφάτη? If so, I've had them for 3+ years now. They lay well, but not as well as some claim they do. Mine have never gone broody. Excellent free rangers. They do amazing in my temps

Back
Top Bottom