Help me settle a debate with my husband!

ashwoody

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2015
Michigan

I say this is a rooster. We have 3 that look the same. He says it is a hen. We got them at Tractor Supply in April. And all were supposed to be hens. Thanks for any help!

I say rooster too. I could be wrong, but saddle feathers are very pointy, tail feathers have a downturn like my rooster's, and his legs are thick like my rooster's are. I'm no expert or anything, but I really think rooster. What's his behavior like?

Oh, and I bought sexed chicks as well. All of mine were suppose to be hens, I ended up with 2 out of 12 being roosters, which I consider myself lucky for. Just because you bought sexed chicks doesn't mean you won't end up with any males, the accuracy isn't 100% on chick sexing, and apparently some breeds are harder to sex than others.

And just as I was thinking that I haven't heard them crow they prove me wrong. My two little bantams are very talkative and I can for sure tell the difference between the two crowing. So I guess that means that 5 out of our 8 are roosters :(

Quote: Can you take good individual pictures of them and post them? If you have 5 roosters I'd not be too happy at all. 2 out of 12 wasn't bad for me, but if it was 5 of 8 I wouldn't buy there again! Also, I wouldn't want to keep 5 roosters. 1 is enough for me. I went back and forth for weeks on keeping or not, and settled on keeping my roo. At least for now as long as he can behave himself. He's not even old enough to cull yet if I was going to do that. I'm still not sure I can bring myself to do it though.

Back
Top Bottom