Help me to choose Rooster for my RIR, BSL pullets

Hello again and thank you for your advise.
Before I bought chicks I did some research and choose RIR for their extra large eggs and dual purpose, cold hardy.
When we bought RIRs we impulsively bought BSLs because babies were cute and some different color :)
I want rooster for protection and more colors in my yard. I'm out of city limit. I asked here because I don't want my dual purpose chickens start making bantam babies and want to keep them cold hardy etc. Don't mind mixing but afraid of freak birds from wrong cross(don't know if chicken does).
My coop is 25'x20'

Hello again and thank you for your advise.
Before I bought chicks I did some research and choose RIR for their extra large eggs and dual purpose, cold hardy.
When we bought RIRs we impulsively bought BSLs because babies were cute and some different color :)
I want rooster for protection and more colors in my yard. I'm out of city limit. I asked here because I don't want my dual purpose chickens start making bantam babies and want to keep them cold hardy etc. Don't mind mixing but afraid of freak birds from wrong cross(don't know if chicken does).
My coop is 25'x20'

There is no requirement to hatch the offspring, unless you want to.

what kind of protection do you expect from a rooster.?
i mean , protection from what ?
just curious..
Oh you know better than that. I saw a hen see a hawk then just run under bush quiet and other hens were not aware. Rooster always raise neck and look around, up and down and just make a sound and all hens run to hide. I tried to adopt a Great Pyrenees dog from kill shelter to protect them then they required 6 feet tall close fence. I have 4 feet tall fence, Thats too much to make 6 feet for 5 Acres just after bought new home. I found a fresh bunny carcass in the wood shed a week ago and my neighbors all have cats. I think rooster gonna make it not easy to catch my pullets and hens. Also I watched a video of a cat ignoring mouse and a rooster attacked and killed it. Like this video.

https://i.imgur.com/s05awRy.gifv

Rooster protection mean little defense and warning for my hens not like a watch dog

Last edited:
There is no requirement to hatch the offspring, unless you want to.
Thank you. I was worry for brown and blue mix color eggs lol, or health problems, like other animals does bad blood, discolor eyes etc. For example: puppies are born blind and deaf if you cross two harlequin dogs.

Back
Top Bottom