HELP!!! Missing Chicken?! My dogs got at her now shes gone!

LaceSocks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 20, 2010
Hi there:

I have 3 hens, just got the 3rd (Twinkle) a week ago. Not only has she been having a difficult time as the new one in the group but she snuck outta the coop and I let my dogs out! 4 dogs! They were all in a tizzy, chasing her, Im trying to save her and spank them.... one of my dogs got a few feathers in her mouth, but nothing serious that I could see. I got the 2 main dogs under control and threw them in the house. (all of this was about 20 seconds long)... when I turned to go back to the yard she was gone!!! I have two 7ft fences on 2 sides and then one smaller, 3 1/2 foot chain link fence on the other side... I have searched the neighbors yard, in my trees (have 8 tall trees in my yard)... the coop.... under the deck... and I cant find her anywhere!!!

How high can they fly usually? And when they have a near-death experience like this one do they just run and run until they are lost??? I love her and have been searching high and low! Any advise would be great...
sad.png

I would look low she might be under something. You don't say how old she is. Or what breed she is I think flying over a 3 1/2 foot fence would be no problem. I would also recommend next time you get a new hen please quarantine her for 30 days. I would never introduce a single hen to a group again. It is not pretty. You might try and make an area in the pen that she can be in and see the other 2 hens but they can't get to her and let them adjust to each other that way for a while and then free range them together for a while then re-introduce I hope you find her.

@Schellie: Thank you!!! I have managed to keep a pretty good eye on the group since introducing her and they finally got adjusted (I am new to this, admittedly!!). I am actually not sure of her breed but she is of laying age and I got her from a feed store...

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom