I found my 14 week old Chicken laying on her side and now one of her feet wont work.

Expat_in_Ecuador

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2023
It's been a week since the incident and a friend of mine recommended me asking questions here.

She is a rescue. Her mother didn't want her and was chasing her away from the flock. I got her when she was a day old. She is the only chicken I have, though she plays chase with our cats and dog, and she spends a lot of time siting on my lap. A week ago, (when I went to go bring her in for the evening) I found her laying on her side, panting, farther than she usually goes. As she has had problems with being over heated I emediatly got her dunked in a bucket of cool water. She started hoping around, and she is eating just fine but her foot is still curled up and she won't put any pressure on it. She is at no risk of starvation as she is a beloved pet who has been being hand feed for a week, but she is tired of sitting and I don't want her foot to get worse. What should I do.

We had a chicken with this issue. Seems similar anyway. We gave her antibiotics but she eventually passed. Took a few weeks off on/off walking no walking. It was like her legs became misshapen. She’d eat but not move…then eventually passed. Wishing you better luck! Feel good

Welcome to the BYC community! :frow

Did you already inspect her allover for possible injuries that might be hidden from sight due to her plumage?

And check also for poultry mites and lice as they can leave a chicken quite weak.

Is there the possibility of something poisonous she might have ingested or poisonous critters having bitten?

I have already inspected for injuries and mites/lice. She had a bruse on her hip of her other leg, but other than that no other injuries. She has been picking at her ankle thought.

She hasn't eaten anything that was piosend though she did get into our compost and starrted eating spoiled fruit we threw out.

I would stop her from getting into the compost. If you can get some human vitamin b complex or vitamins that contain riboflavin (vitamin B 2,) give her some daily. Injury might be the cause, or a leg bone deformity, slipped tendon, or even Mareks disease. What is her age?

I would stop her from getting into the compost. If you can get some human vitamin b complex or vitamins that contain riboflavin (vitamin B 2,) give her some daily. Injury might be the cause, or a leg bone deformity, slipped tendon, or even Mareks disease. What is her age?
She is 15 weeks. She didn't have any issues (other the heat issues)

In case you have to order the recommended vitamin B complex, feed her scrambled eggs and some millet and oregano until you get the vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom