HELP! My 9 month old pullet acts like a chick!

Carolinag001

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2019
Central Valley, California
My Coop
My Coop
I got my Silkie chick named Wonder when she was about a month or two old. Around the same time I got another chick roughly around the same age maybe a little older who we named Lola. She was quite bigger than her, the moment we put them together Wonder ran under Lola as if that was her mother. As they got older and a little bigger Lola turned out to me a rooster! This whole time even now Wonder follows now named Lolo around and still gets under him and sleeps and he lets her. She has not laid an egg and I don’t think she plans on it anytime soon. What I find more strange is how Lolo will dance to my other two hens and mate with them and not with Wonder! Does anyone have an idea of what is going on? I’ve never seen this before. We call her the baby because she acts like a baby chick wanting to be with Lolo and sleeping. In the photos you can see how Wonder gets under Lolo.
B0EC97D2-E88A-409B-8D1F-DBC2AFD7C3F0.jpeg
58F4FD88-D798-40C4-B59B-FE6BBA7AEBDB.jpeg
3B34FE0E-AB82-4962-B089-D350912439B1.jpeg

My polish do this in my flock! They are technically the youngest and sensitive to cold, just as silkies may not do well in draft or rain. I believe it's just them being well..babyish. My rooster won't breed any of my polish but my one mature female(the others are laying, but she's the only one who will present for him) I also think if your silkie is sensitve and young she probably crys or startles in any attempts he makes to mount her, if he gets that far. A good rooster will take note of his hens interest, and if she's not interested and there's plenty of hens, whos he to force her? As for the babying, she's probably just cold or maybe nervous so she crawls under the others for warmth or protection. My pullets always do this the first few weeks in the big coop, and A lot of them in general do it in winter as they fight over who's gonna take the blunt of snow,wind etc for the flock, on the roosting bars, outside, or any time there is bad weather. She should grow out of it but may or may not. Once that infamous silkie broody gene starts kicking in, I bet she'll become receptive of your rooster too!

Our oldest female polish(someone saw her spurs growing in and thought she was a rooster and gave her up) acting as parent for two pullets we brought home last summer. Ironically they're twice her size now and she takes advantage by squeezing between them in winter and sticking her flood head under their wings lol how the tables have turned

I have also seen this with all ages if they need safety or comfort. I can't see her crest in any of the pictures but many times I have to trim the crest of my silkies back some so they can see especially the pullets and hens. They become much more alert and less skiddish once they can see.

My Cochin does this at night. She is almost 7 months old and much bigger than the Barred Rock she tries to sleep under on the roost. My BR has recently decided that she's had enough of it. Oh the drama at bed time! It's like a soap opera, honestly: "The Bold and the Feathered?" "The Chicks of our Lives?" "All My Hatchlings?" "General Chicken Coop?"

Back
Top Bottom