Help my broody hen won't leave

TheRabbitRun25

Hatching
May 14, 2023
I have a bantam part silkie that has gone broody. a bit of background is I hatched her from some eBay eggs in an incubator with 3 others that also hatched. At this time I had one other hen who lived outside that I brought in for visits she had complications a hatching time and I had to step in, and she followed me around everywhere .now all my hens live outside and the og hen has sadly passed. My broody is now about 18 to 24 months old and hasn't really ever had a mother figure apart from us. I don't have a rooster any more and so she has no viable eggs , I read online that you should wet the under feathers in cold water to cool her down and today I have put egg-shaped peables in the freezer and put them under her. I have been taking her off at night as my hens lay in my rabbit hutch which I close off around 6 o'clock every night and no earlier so she can not go back in and this also getts her to eat and drink with the rest of the flock. I have tried butting her in a smaller area with her BFF with food and water which has stones on the bottom although after 5 mins she completely freaked out as she has never really been enclosed. she has however allowed others to lay in the hay tray and has then sat back down. HELP I am worried and this is the first time both of us have been through this and I am nervous as the isn't eating as much as usual .xx

Welcome to BYC. Chances are good your broody hen can become a mom if you can get her a few viable eggs. She has the mothering skills in here genes. Hatchery hens go broody and become mothers if they are of the right breeding. Don't despair. This can end well for you.

Back
Top Bottom