Help! My broodys chicks are dying

svossough

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 29, 2014
Dumfriesshire, UK
Hi Every One,

I hope that you can help. This is my second year of hen keeping, last year I had too much on I was heavily pregnant and had lots of broody ducks so I didn't let my chickens brood. This is the first year they have brooded, I only have two on at the minute though.

One of my broodys is a crested cream legbar, this is her first season of egg laying and brooding, I had her in August from 3 days, the other is a blue haze and this is her second season but first broody.

It is my legbar that has hatchlings, we had one overnight which I no was alive I saw the pipping, I heard it chirping and I checked before I went to bed about 11pm and could hear it then although momma was sat on it then so no visual. The other was not on sunday, I saw this one fully hatched it was bright as a button so I left it with momma and saw it through out the day then in the morning I found it dead.

I have hatched lots of ducklings both in the incubator and naturally with mommas with no problems at all, am I doing some thing wrong with the chickens? All my birds are fit and healthy and have over 1/4 acre for 9 of them to roam freely in, I only close the door to the house at night when we go to bed and they are out first thing, I top them up with layers pellets and grain but aside from that and some veggies they eat mainly off the land and I sell lots of their eggs with many repeat customer.

Does any one have any pearls they can offer me?

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom