1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help my chick has a lump i have posted a photo please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joegwendolyn, Apr 21, 2009.

1. joegwendolyn

joegwendolyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    my 4 week old buff orpington chick has got a dry lump on the back of her neck, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it is, i am new to having chicks so any help is greatly appreciated

[​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It appears she's been pecked clean by some brooder mates...if this is the case, it could just be a swollen area due to the pecking.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:either that or.....mine got on top of something in the brooder and lost his feathers to the heat lamp, he recovered but looked funny for a while. Had to rearrange the brooder [​IMG]
    most likely what Wynette said though....

4. joegwendolyn

Mar 26, 2009
    is there any way to atop the pecking ????

5. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

try a red light, ive heard that helps stop the pecking.

6. joegwendolyn

Mar 26, 2009
    i tryed a red light, and some one said it might its getting to hot so i took it out

7. OutdoorFun4

OutdoorFun4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Poor little girl.

I agree that you should go back to the red light. Adjust the height so the temp is correct.

Also, watch this chick with the others. If it is being picked-on I think you may have to isolate it until it heals.

Good Luck.

8. joegwendolyn

Mar 26, 2009
    we have just got rid of the baby roo that was with them as he was chasing them i am hoping this will help

9. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    We added things in our chicks brooder to stop them pecking at this one chick who had a darker beak than the others, and so attracted a lot of unwanted attention!

We got the bottom of an egg box and put marbles in the holes where the eggs sit, and then scattered chick crumbs around the marbles. This kept the chicks entertained for hours trying to get all the food, and they left the other chick alone. We also added mirrors which provided them with much amusement [​IMG]

I hope getting rid of the roo helps with the pecking, good luck.

10. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:At walmart you can get a dimmer switch on a cord for about $10, it makes it much easier to adjust temps in the brooder. I am sorry I can't remember who on here gave that advice but I love having it on mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by