help! My chicken is laying eggs with an orange yolk!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sienatiger, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Sienatiger

Sienatiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    With the girls!
    what does it mean? They are stil on starter food because we have younger chicks still in the coop. I am really getting worried. Thanks for any help!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Orange yolks are what we all seek. Shades of yellow to orange are related to diet.

Make sure you have calcium supplementation available for the layers, like ground oyster shells.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    This means your birds are happy, healthy birds on a diet that has lots of carotenoids

4. Sienatiger

Sienatiger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    With the girls!
    Ok I feel stupid. Thanks so much guys!

5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Yes, but now you can see for yourself the difference between your own eggs from a small well kept flock vs grocery store eggs. [​IMG]
    I just gave some eggs to relatives and they commented on how much harder they were to crack, another way ours are better, no thin shells.

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    That was not a stupid question….we are all still learning. I grow marigolds in the summer and give some to my hens to get a richer yolk.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Don't feel stupid - feel proud of the fact that you have such happy, healthy birds.

8. goodb

goodb Chillin' With My Peeps

What part of the marigold do they eat?

9. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I prefer they eat the flowers…but if you pull the forming seeds out they love those. And tear up some of the leaves ---that's their favorite.

I grow marigolds near my veggies for companion planting.

10. goodb

goodb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like they like the entire plant although my birds hardly touched the marigolds I gave them this fall. Maybe they were distracted by the other "goodies" I gave them.
    Probably a dumb question but do the marigolds keep them away from the other plants?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by