Help my chicken is suddenly gasping for air!

You can upload a video to YouTube or vimeo with a link posted here. Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently? Is there any bubbles in an eye, nasal drainage, noisy breathing, or head shaking?

You can upload a video to YouTube or vimeo with a link posted here. Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently? Is there any bubbles in an eye, nasal drainage, noisy breathing, or head shaking?
No new chickens have been added. She was fine yesterday evening. I do have a rooster who might have been rough on her but there are no wounds to indicate that. She doesn’t have bubbles/nasal drainage/or head shaking. Her breathing is a tad noisy but I think that’s just her struggling to breathe like in the video.

I would have a look inside the back of her throat with a flashlight for any partial blockage, mucus, or yellow cankers. What is your location? Gasping is more likely from a respiratory infection, but you could consider worming her with fenbendazole or albendazole.

I would have a look inside the back of her throat with a flashlight for any partial blockage, mucus, or yellow cankers. What is your location? Gasping is more likely from a respiratory infection, but you could consider worming her with fenbendazole or albendazole.
I’m located in southern Tennessee. When I looked in her throat I didn’t see anything but I’ll have to check with a flashlight to look further. Where is a good place to get antibiotics for chickens? I’ve been to tractor supply but I didn’t see anything as far as antibiotics or wormer.

They don’t carry much except LA200 oxyteracycline for cattle. That is a once every 3 days injection. Some respiratory diseases are caused by virus or fungus, which do not respond to antibiotics. Only MG or coryza might respond. You can get Tylan (tylosin) powder online here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

TSC does carry SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the horse paste which can treat the rare gapeworm, and more common capillary worms. Dosage is 1/4 ml orally for 5 days.

You might try placing her inside a dog crate in a humid room, such as a spare bathroom. Run the shower to get it steamy or use a vaporizer. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of treatment one can do for gasping. It is painful to watch them struggle.

They don’t carry much except LA200 oxyteracycline for cattle. That is a once every 3 days injection. Some respiratory diseases are caused by virus or fungus, which do not respond to antibiotics. Only MG or coryza might respond. You can get Tylan (tylosin) powder online here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

TSC does carry SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the horse paste which can treat the rare gapeworm, and more common capillary worms. Dosage is 1/4 ml orally for 5 days.

You might try placing her inside a dog crate in a humid room, such as a spare bathroom. Run the shower to get it steamy or use a vaporizer. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of treatment one can do for gasping. It is painful to watch them struggle.
Thank you for the advice. I’m looking into what to do for her. It’s absolutely soul crushing to see them suffer.

Update: My chicken seems to be considerably better this morning. She’s eating, drinking, clucking, and standing up—even laid an egg. I’m really hoping it was just something that got caught in her throat. I’ll be keeping an eye on her for the next several days and will probably worm the whole flock for good measure.

One other question: I think I’m going to to the safeguard liquid dewormer and give it to all the chickens via their water. Do I need to toss the eggs? I noticed that the label says not to slaughter goats for human consumption for 6 days following administration of the wormer.

Safeguard settles out in the water. It is best to give it orally to each chicken or mix it in a small treat they are sure to take. Dosage is 1/4 (0.25)ml per pound for 5 consecutive days. That will treat roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, and capillary worms.

Back
Top Bottom