help! my chicken was murdered!! :-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jgoodin, Sep 1, 2014.

1. jgoodin

jgoodin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    el Paso tx
    Help! My chicken was murdered by my dogs! :-( they've been getting along for about a week with no problems, they've been sharing the yard and I thought I had gotten to a point where I could trust them. After all, they were unsupervised for a week with no problems.
    Well,I left for an hour to help my sister move some stuff because she's pregnant and can't move around to well. When I came back the dogs didn't greet me in the gate so I knew something was wrong. I went to the backyard and found the half eaten remains of my gorgeous barred rock. I am so completely melancholic and disappointed. I can't believe I let that happen to her, and, of course, it's all my fault. I suddenly feel totally overwhelmed and it doesn't help that my other gals are worryingly calling out to her before going to bed. I seriously want to get rid of my dogs so that this won't happen again! Please tell me I'm not overreacting.[​IMG]

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Don't beat yourself up over it. The dogs were doing what dogs do. Chalk it up to experience and change the plan next time you are away. Don't worry, hon, it has happened to most of us already. [​IMG]

3. CHICKLOVER69

CHICKLOVER69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Sorry for your loss. You obviously supervised them for a week to make sure everything would be ok. Dont be too hard on yourself. Your dogs are pets, but animals first. They may be mild mannered, but it just takes one sudden movement to trigger a dog's instincts. My chicks are in an enclosed run/coop. I only have 9. I also have 3 dogs. One of the dogs lunges at the fence and tries to startle the chickens. She catches birds, moles, and anything that doesnt belong there. The other 2 dont really bother the chicks, but wouldnt trust them. This doesnt solve your problem, but animals have instincts and will always carry those traits. At least the dog ate the chicken. Hate to see animals kill another animal just for fun. You can not beat yourself up about what happened. You obviously care. Concentrate on a remedy to enclose the chickens or the dogs. I love both our chickens and dogs and dont know if i could choose between them. I feel your pain but it is not your fault. Hop you feel better soon.

4. jgoodin

jgoodin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    el Paso tx
    thanks. I've made the decision to get rid of the dogs. They eat and produce useless waste while only giving problems. They constantly bark and aren't even loving towards humans. The chickens at the very least have as much personality, eat less, and provide great fertilizer and great eggs. I'm not willing to sacrifice an animal that has so many benefits for one that is a danger to my family and my food supply. If I could "old yeller" their butts I would, but a no kill shelter might be the best option.

5. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I wouldn't get rid of the dogs. I'd make sure that they are never in contact with each other.
    Sorry for your loss!

1 person likes this.
  6. ShinShien

ShinShien Overrun With Chickens

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    Same thing happened to me. My dog murdered my entire flock of 9, and only bothered to eat 1 of them. Just mindless killing...which is what dogs' primal instinct seems to be. This one ended with me getting rid of the dog.

7. chicbaby

chicbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    i am so sorry for your loss. you have to remember, your dogs didn't know better, they didn't do it to be mean. it doesn't sound like they were really part of your family and you are probably very upset right now so its probably best to wait before you act. its a hard thing when this happens but you have to forgive yourself and your dogs. you don't want to feel remorse for doing something you will regret later.

dogs are wonderful animals and give us so much love and care, but it also depends on how much interaction and time spent with them on how much either party gets out of the relationship. as the parents of the household, we have to be vigilant and when accidents happen, we have to move forward and use the opportunity to grow and do better next time.
    all animals are different, they all have different personalities and abilities and you have to accept, work around any challenges and appreciate and utilize their strengths. patience is the most important thing and it makes us better people, as well as society as a whole, when we practice and develop this.

one of our dogs killed one of our chicks when we first got them and i scolded her and she felt really bad and never made a move toward them again. you have to be able to communicate with them and have a strong bond of love in order to move forward in a positive manner. i was very upset and felt bad that it happened, but she is a wonderful dog who takes care of our daughter and protects our home and our animals.

i am sure you can take precautions so it doesn't happen again. with our dogs, our farm is a better place and we couldn't live without them, they contribute too much. i think there is too much harshness in the world and not enough forgiveness and patience and care. we really have to get away from this throw away society attitude and value and honor everyone and not just get rid of someone because we have lost our temper or they are not performing to our satisfaction.

8. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    x2

9. MSBG

MSBG Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    Very sorry to hear of you loss AND that you are getting rid of the dogs.

Just a note to others, the dogs CAN be trained to leave the chicks alone, but it takes more than a week or two of training, it takes weeks of serious training and it can even be done using training devices if necessary. I have dogs that I have trained so I do have 1st hand knowledge that this does work and they can live in harmony.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Given how you seem to feel about them, this seems to be the best course of action for all involved.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by