Help!! My chicken won’t put any weight on her leg!

Sounds like she is taking it easy at least.

Well keep us apprised of her Vet visit, hopefully it's just something that time will cure.
Just got back from the vet. It turns out she has a fracture at one of her joints. It’s small, and has the potential to heal over time if she is kept in a crate with just food and water. However, if she doesn’t get better, she will likely be euthanized because of her quality of life being impaired :’((

My 2 year old barred rock hen won’t put any weight on one of her legs. I first noticed just 30 minutes ago when I went out to see my girls, and I saw that she was laying down.

I felt her leg and foot, but I didn’t feel anything out of the ordinary, but at the same time, I don’t know what exactly to feel for.

She seems to be eating and drinking fine, and was even acting like her usual self, just quieter and hopping around on one foot. No closed eyes, no heavy panting. She was even digging at the ground with her beak when I found her like it wasn’t a big deal. She even nipped me a little when I put her in the coop to rest, as per usual, with her being rather territorial with the coop.

The one time before a chicken was limping around, it was a broken blood feather, and she healed up fine, but I have no clue why my girl may be hurting.

Could it be that she pulled a muscle? Could it be something worse? Im very worried and concerned for her.
Update: she has a small fracture in one of her joints. It is likely that she could be deficient in calcium and quality food, so we are changing that by getting layer pellets and possibly oyster shells to boost her calcium intake.

I’m annoyed that this could have been prevented if my parents had just listened to me and gotten the proper food, when I repeatedly suggested a change in diet. However, what’s most important is Olive, and making sure she gets better.

Update: she has a small fracture in one of her joints. It is likely that she could be deficient in calcium and quality food, so we are changing that by getting layer pellets and possibly oyster shells to boost her calcium intake.

I’m annoyed that this could have been prevented if my parents had just listened to me and gotten the proper food, when I repeatedly suggested a change in diet. However, what’s most important is Olive, and making sure she gets better.
What have you been feeding your flock?

What have you been feeding your flock?
For the most part, a mix of grains and seeds, and whatever they find out in the yard (bugs, small animals, grass, weeds, etc.) but I also occasionally make scrambled eggs with shells when there are leftovers in the fridge. They also get table scraps as treats. They used to get layer pellets and crumble at one point, but they eventually got so sick and tired of it that they stopped eating it, and it went to waste.

Glad u took her to the Vet. Give it time and good feed, keep us updated!

For the most part, a mix of grains and seeds, and whatever they find out in the yard (bugs, small animals, grass, weeds, etc.) but I also occasionally make scrambled eggs with shells when there are leftovers in the fridge. They also get table scraps as treats. They used to get layer pellets and crumble at one point, but they eventually got so sick and tired of it that they stopped eating it, and it went to waste.
How is your hen doing? Any updates?

One thing is if you can get crushed oyster shell that is a good calcium supplement for hens.

Hi I have a 2year pekin chicken ; she has started limping and the poorly foot seems to be slightly to the left : she is eating and drinking . The poorly leg is not moving when I touch it regards Linda

Hi I have a 2year pekin chicken ; she has started limping and the poorly foot seems to be slightly to the left : she is eating and drinking . The poorly leg is not moving when I touch it regards Linda
Welcome to BYC. You will get more replies if you start a new thread of your own on the emergency forum here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/post-thread

Pictures posted on hour thread or a video of her walking uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here could be helpful. Are her toes curled under? Is there any green bruising, swelling, or redness along the entire leg? Have you added any new birds to your flock recently who could have been carrying a virus that causes paralysis? Chickens do suffer sprains or fractures occasionally, and if a nerve is affected, there may be paralysis.

She seems to not be doing any better today. She doesn’t walk (unless she’s chased away or bothered) and prefers to hide away in the bushes. She’s still very much responsive and willing to eat/drink, and is wide awake most of the time. I spent 30-45 minutes with her this morning, stroking her gently and talking to her. She eventually moved to the coop, where she is now resting in the nesting boxes.
What happened the leg? My chicken has same exact issue

Back
Top Bottom