Help! My Chickens have not laid eggs in several Months~

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beaches4me, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    I had all my hens stop laying completely one winter after a hard moult. Never had happened before. I found some info on it I think on the internet and put up lights on timers, got some Super Layer Pellets 22% protien to mix with thier scratch, and started putting apple cider vinegar in thier water. In two weeks they were laying again.
    Now in the winter, I do that but I dont use the vinegar anymore. Once it warms up, I put them back on 16% layer pellets. I get the Dumor brand. They seem to like it.

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    In addition to getting them on a high protein diet, try sprinkling a bit of hot pepper (like they have at pizza hut) on their food. It warms up the innerds and stimulates egg production

3. MauryGrimm

MauryGrimm Chirping

Feb 10, 2019
    La Jara, Co
    I live in a cold climate (-22 just the other night) and my chickens free range as much as possible. In the winter months I feed them greens and herbs I have foraged and dried or cook up a mash of alfalfa pellets so they have a warming breakfast. I add layer feed and scratch. I also give them fish kitchen scraps, mealy worms, etc., for the protein they need during molt. This year I have seen my girls recover quickly and one-by-one they are laying, eggs.

4. Brawley Leigh

Brawley Leigh Chirping

Jun 9, 2017
    Eagle Point, Oregon
    And turn off the light. Their bodies need rest time to recover from molting, winter AND malnutrition. Give more protein and a good layer feed/pellet. A great protein “treat (not intended to replace layer feed)” is Grubbly made in USA, it’s dried grubs. Also fresh, clean water. Let them rest and recuperate.

5. RenoHuskerDu

RenoHuskerDu Chirping

Aug 8, 2018
    Central Texas
    I'm at 40% of the TS layer pellets
    Crude Protein (Min) 16.0%
    Lysine (Min) .70%
    Methionine (Min) .35%
    Crude Fat (Min) 2.5%
    Crude Fiber (Max) 7.0%
    Calcium (Ca) (Min) 3.8%
    Calcium (Ca) (Max) 4.8%
    Phosphorus (P) (Min) .45%
    Salt (NaCl) (Min) .25%
    Salt (NaCI) (Max) .75%
    Phytase (A.Oryzae) (Min) 227 FYT/LB

50% of the TS finisher crumble
    Crude Protein (min.) 15.00%
    Lysine (min.) .65%
    Methionine (min.) .29%
    Crude Fat (min.) 2.70%
    Crude Fiber (max.) 5.00%
    Calcium (Ca) (min.) .60%
    Calcium (Ca) (max.) 1.10%
    Phosphorus (P) (min.) .60%
    Salt (NaCl) (min.) .20%
    Salt (NaCl) (max.) .40%
    Selenium (Se) (min.) .30 ppm
    Ruminant meat and bone meal free.

And about 10% of the H&H, which is 18% protein
    https://handhfeed.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Layer-Pellet.jpg

We also supplement with ACV and slices of garlic in their water.

6. slackjawedyokel

slackjawedyokel In the Brooder

Nov 22, 2016
    Like everyone else said, get them back on regular feed, and cycle the light. Put the light on a timer and make sure they have some "night". At this point, I'd start by giving them 12 hours of sun or artificial light per day. After a week or two, increase one hour per week until you hit 15. They do still need a night cycle.

7. RenoHuskerDu

RenoHuskerDu Chirping

Aug 8, 2018
    Central Texas
    Is it true that commercial eggs are grown by making the chickens stay awake 24hr with lighting?

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not sure why the ACV and Garlic.....not much gain and can cause issues like inhibiting calcium absorption and anemia respectively.
    Your protein adds up to about 15.7%.

nminusyplusm and oldhenlikesdogs like this.
  9. Betsy57

Betsy57 Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2011
    Murphysboro IL USA
    Too much fish may make the eggs fishy tasting. Mine are laying good and a friend's aren't laying much at all. I feed a mixture of high protein feed (flock raiser) along with layer. Several have molted so I always increase the protein. Haven't changed the lights (14 hours). I feed Grubbly worms too as snacks for additional protein. Mine are 2 1/2 years old. 40 hens and getting two dozen a day. Not bad for winter.

Criticalicious likes this.
  10. RenoHuskerDu

RenoHuskerDu Chirping

Aug 8, 2018
    Central Texas
    I'd have to ask the boss. My wife manages that bit. I do security and housing. I seem to recall that the lady who runs H&H recommended ACV, molasses, and garlic. I forgot to mention molasses earlier. There's also a vitamin mix from Tractor Supply, its name escapes me.

Once the open bag of Finisher is gone, I'm going to 4 parts Layer and 1 part H&H, which should put me at 16.5% protein. I'll quit using percentages for my mix because that confuses things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: