Help! My chicks are sick and I think they have coccidiosis!

izzybe3

Chirping
Apr 3, 2016
Erwin ,TN
1D02ABDE-B077-4FA7-847D-60AD8A6CA38B.jpeg
611800B7-C4EF-438E-86FC-4B84C36CAC00.jpeg
My chicks are acting strange and four of them have just died. I have one that’s still alive and I don’t know what to do. Her feathers are puffed up and she’s not moving. Please help, I don’t want to going through anymore pain!

Get some Corid ASAP and start treating. Images below, any Tractor Supply should have it. Treatment chart below, use the severe dosing amount. Also give an oral dose directly to the bird, dosing for that is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
Give the bird some of the medicated water directly, or dip the beak to get it to drink several times until it starts drinking on it's own. Medicated water needs to be the only water available during treatment.
900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

2202129.jpg

1033284.jpg

You need to get some corid if you don't have it and dose all of your birds , go with the sever one at 1.5 TSP per Gallon of water for 5-7 days, make sure that is the only water they have, then another 5-7 days at 1/3 tsp, if you are using the powder that is 20%

View attachment 1915704 View attachment 1915705 My chicks are acting strange and four of them have just died. I have one that’s still alive and I don’t know what to do. Her feathers are puffed up and she’s not moving. Please help, I don’t want to going through anymore pain!
Sorry you've lost so many.
Yes, she appears to have coccidiosis.
Treat with Corid ASAP.
I would drench her directly in her beak dropwise with 0.2 ml of Corid straight from the bottle. Also dilute the 9.6% Corid 2 tsp to a gallon of drinking water. Give her fresh solution daily for 7 days. Then drop the concentration to 1 tsp to a gallon and continue for another 5 days.
I hope she makes it. :hugs

She didnt make it but I gave the others the Solution. I hope they make it
So sorry. :hugs

When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions:

Corid 9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.02 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

Corid 20% powder - Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 2 teaspoons water.
  • Give 0.34 ml per pound of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.
or
  • 0.07 ml per 100 grams of body weight orally once or twice a day for 1-3 days.

Back
Top Bottom