Sick bantams one died

Chey1214

Songster
May 4, 2023
I got a sick bantam and she died. I have another one looking sick too. I gave this hen egg….rooster booster and nothing worked for her. The light chick is the one who died the silver bird is the one who’s currently alive but getting puffed in the feathers. I’m wondering if it’s dry pox. I don’t know if he has a cut on his face or if that’s signs of sickness.

Open for suggestions

Attachments

• E27A9560-5786-4325-B645-FC4C74B3E49A.png
    E27A9560-5786-4325-B645-FC4C74B3E49A.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
  • 44167E2E-1501-40CB-B150-45FFEB06659C.jpeg
    44167E2E-1501-40CB-B150-45FFEB06659C.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 9
Have you treated for Coccidiosis?

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

I got a sick bantam and she died. I have another one looking sick too. I gave this hen egg….rooster booster and nothing worked for her. The light chick is the one who died the silver bird is the one who’s currently alive but getting puffed in the feathers. I’m wondering if it’s dry pox. I don’t know if he has a cut on his face or if that’s signs of sickness.

Open for suggestions
My first thought with a chick that's got its head down and all fluffed out; it's probably most likely Coccidiosis. Sometimes you'd see diarrhea and/or blood in their poop, but not always. The most popular cure for that is to give Corid. Here's the dosage if you want to try it, but if that's it, you should hurry. Good luck!

Attachments

• Corid dosage chart.jpg
    Corid dosage chart.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 6
Have you treated for Coccidiosis?

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
Yes i forgot to add that. My whole flock had coccidiosis. We had two rounds of corid and finally a sulfa drug. Do you think I should do corid again??

Yes i forgot to add that. My whole flock had coccidiosis. We had two rounds of corid and finally a sulfa drug. Do you think I should do corid again?
How old are these birds?

If you've already treated her with Corid and a Sulfa drug at the correct doses, then probably not Coccidiosis, but taking a sample to your vet would be a good idea.

Could be they are just unthrifty.

How old are these birds?

If you've already treated her with Corid and a Sulfa drug at the correct doses, then probably not Coccidiosis, but taking a sample to your vet would be a good idea.

Could be they are just unthrifty.
They are about 11 weeks old. I can not find a vet who will do a fecal test. I was talking to the state vet at the fair and I was like why is this so difficult! It shouldn’t be this hard to find help w chickens!

I think I’m going to do another round of corid just as a precaution! It’s been a “shitty year”

They are about 11 weeks old. I can not find a vet who will do a fecal test. I was talking to the state vet at the fair and I was like why is this so difficult! It shouldn’t be this hard to find help w chickens!

I think I’m going to do another round of corid just as a precaution! It’s been a “shitty year”
These fecal tests shouldn't be so hard either but I do know some chicken owners bought a microscope and have a reference site online of what things look like in the poop. So they can determine at least if theirs have cocci or not, knowing that all chickens will have it to a small degree. Now, the next question, who can afford a decent microscope? I'm going to search that here and see if anyone's posted about it. I'll let you know.

Last edited:
These fecal tests shouldn't be so hard either but I do know some chicken owners bought a microscope and have a reference site online of what things look like in the poop. So they can determine at least if theirs have cocci or not, knowing that all chickens will have it to a small degree. Now, the next question, who can afford a decent telescope? I'm going to search that here and see if anyone's posted about it. I'll let you know.
I found a thread on where they look up what they find, but no mention of which scope to buy so I asked.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/parasite-identity-chart.1586691/

These fecal tests shouldn't be so hard either but I do know some chicken owners bought a microscope and have a reference site online of what things look like in the poop. So they can determine at least if theirs have cocci or not, knowing that all chickens will have it to a small degree. Now, the next question, who can afford a decent telescope? I'm going to search that here and see if anyone's posted about it. I'll let you know.
Thanks, I was also thinking about becoming self sufficient when it comes to this, I started to do the water test to make sure it was blood, but I would like to advance as well!

Back
Top Bottom